Need some first-time wedding photographer help!

Your task = taking photos at a wedding. I was just saying that an ultra-wide angle is not really a good choice for a wedding lens, unless you like getting in people's faces. Even on group shots it's not necessary (a more moderate wide angle around the 28mm mark is a better choice) and will introduce visible distortions into the picture.

If you can afford just one lens to rent, get the 70-200. If you can afford two, get the 70-200 and 24-70 2.8 (or 17-55 2.8). Only get the wide angle if you have cash to burn and an extra body - you don't want to be chopping around between 4 different lenses on the day.

Alright. As for the 24-70 vs. 17-55 which is best choice? I've read the 17-55 is THE lens to use for weddings. Haven't read much of the 24-70 other than it's better for an FX vs a DX that mine is... but since i'm not buying and only renting for 5 days, does it matter?

Last edited:
I rented to 24-70mm and the 70-200mm vr II and so far, I LOVE them both!

I'd share a test image I took but I don't have permission for some reason.

I'd share a test image I took but I don't have permission for some reason.

You don't need permission, you simply have to upload to a host site (flickr, photobucket, smugmug, etc) and past using the
codes.

Nice background blur, but the focus seems a bit soft, esp on the boy.

3rd shooter, i agree with previous poster, 70-200 2.8, you'll get most of your shots with that without being a nuisance to the paid photogs.

Yes, very nice! What lens was that?

That was with the 70-200mm VR II :)

3rd shooter, i agree with previous poster, 70-200 2.8, you'll get most of your shots with that without being a nuisance to the paid photogs.

There are no paid photogs, it's all family and they're doing it as a gift to the bride and groom so being a nuisance won't be a problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back