need some help with night shots over the ocean

Doc Fluty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to do night ocean photography. what weather conditions do i need for the longest view from shore?

I would like to go to a nice dark area for night photography in between san deigo and los angeles. But sometimes when i go out at night a mist over the ocean stops me from getting a good shot. I have over $4000 of new canon equipment including a tripod, external timers, bubble levelers and canon L lenses. i just need help in finding out what weather conditions i need to get the longest shot over the horizon, so i can see the stars all the way down.

thanks in advance and here is a pic of the reason i got into photography...

27xflmo.jpg

Weather conditions vary greatly depending on the the conditions of possibly the entire country. I know here on the Australian east cost we've had mist and haze for a good 4 months straight due to early hot winds from the middle of the country blowing dust around. It wasn't until the storms set in that this cleared. Additionally our visibility depends on the number of bushfires burning in the area.

It will probably be very different from country to country but I know conditions that promote the best visibility here are high humidity just after some rain, with no temperature inversions. Could be very different where you are located.

Most reactions

Back