Need some help with photo paper.


Staff member
Supporting Member
Jun 9, 2013
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I just bought this great little box that I'm going to turn into a pinhole camera. I haven't done this before, so to make things a bit easier as I'm learning, I was planning on using Harman Direct Positive Paper, but it's out of stock and there's no info when it will be available again.

Being an impatient girl, I decided that I don't want to wait for the Harman and I'll jump straight into paper negatives and contact printing. I'm a little confused about the papers though. I've never printed my own photos so I'm unversed in the types of paper. Would I use the same kind for both paper negative and positive print? Are there any favorites that you all have for pinhole photos? Anyone willing to give me a quick rundown of the types available and how I can use them?

Thank so much!
I've done darkroom work and have read about paper negatives and want to try doing those but haven't yet. I've usually used the standard Ilford papers - I like glossy better than matte but that's probably personal preference or might depend on what you've photographed. I've been doing lumen prints with different types of expired paper but I don't think that's going to help you much with doing paper negatives!

Have you tried looking on APUG? - there might be some discussion on there. Or you could try - I've found some good resources there.

Most reactions