Need some help with this picture!!!

skip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok guys my grandmother loves pictures of my daughter. She doesn't have any pictures bigger then the 11x14. She mentioned that she would like a poster size picture on her wall. My grandmother is 76 years old and just retired last year. She gets around very well for her age and mows her yard and her neighbors. I have tried but that is one thing she will fight with me she likes to push mow grass.

Anyway here is the three pictures I'm considering to use. She likes these pictures. So what can I do with them? I took the pictures with my Canon T2i camera. Basicly what would it cost to have something different in the back ground? Also what does it cost to have a poster size made up? If anyone wants to help I would appreciate it!!!

I really thought about taking another picture with her on the pedal tractor but I need some idea's of where? My grandmother knows this was the first time she was on it so if I take another picture it has to be over the top in the back ground... I thought about in front of a waterfall (Don't have many here) or even in a just plowed field. Any idea's would help...

005-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-2.jpg

very cute snapshots but I don't think there is a way to 'fix' the background. You don't have to go all crazy looking for spots...maybe even your front yard or a local park?

The background can be replaced fairly easily with something else. Upsizing it to poster size can also be done, and might even be done well, depending on the original file to work with.

Did you shoot these in RAW? That would be a good start. If not, it can still be done, but it does mean some limitations in what's possible in post processing. (So always shoot RAW - you never know if some 'snapshot' is 'the one' you'll want to use later).

The time to replace the background and upsize it and do a fairly good job of it would be a couple hours, the way I work, and I charge $40 per hour for this type of work.

Your best bet is to re-shoot it with the background you want. It's far easier, cheaper and you're likly to get a better result when the light all matches and so on. Take a drive out to the country, find a field with planting rows and no fence to stop you, and get your shot. If the idea of 'trespassing' for two minutes on the edge of a farm field right next to the road bothers you or you think it might be a problem, maybe just a little garden in some friend or relative's yard. Ask around if anyone has a garden or knows someone with a farm that would let you take a picture for free. Maybe ask on Craigslist if your friends/relatives/coworkers come up empty.

Sunset is a good time of day to get some great light for this sort of thing.

Something like this. Getting it right takes more than the 5 minutes I took doing this, but you get the idea.

examplecv.jpg

Friends don't let friends drive John Deere! :grumpy:

But... if you insist... As has already been shown, compositing can be accomplished fairly easily, but even well done, may not look quite 'right'. You would also get the same 'odd' perspective in a ploughed field, as the pedal-tractor would drown in the furrows. How about a patch of tallish grass, say up to the top of the front wheels, and shoot low (as in: You're laying on your stomach) with a UWA; I think think you'd get a good shot. As mentioned, shoot raw at the lowest possible ISO for the highest-quality enlargement.

It will be tough finding an image with the right perspective, but I am sure if you are persistent and search long enough you could find it. Otherwise, shooting your own 'background' shot will allow you to decide the angle you need. Removing roads and such lines could help reduce the angle issue. Getting the images to match, though - and not look funny - that will be hard as well. Not impossible, but it will take some Photoshop skill to pull it off naturally. Another consideration is maybe cropping off some of the tractor, like the wheels or start mid front wheel. That way you can just worry about a background alone (not what is in front of the tractor too).

Since this is a gift for grandma I would say that you should do it better. I like the little girl on the tractor. really adorable but the setting is bland. I would take her to a bit more fitting of scenery like a scenic field of maybe just your yard if your yard is pretty. Would definitely be worth the extra effort and Im sure grandma of all people would truly appreciate the extra work.

If this is gonna be a poster size print, you might want to do a reshoot. Make sure you're shooting at the full 18mp too.
Take the tractor outside and shoot it with more light. Try to get baby looking at the camera.

I have to look what raw shooting is and the full 18 mp. I shot one in auto mode with flash and one without flash in auto mode. I also have a filter on the lens. I have been thinking what back ground I want. Thank you for all the great idea's and I'm thinking the photoshop idea would be a bad thing.

Are there any wildflower fields near you, possibly just on the side of a road? That might be nice, of course you wouldn't actually use a John Deere on wildflowers but it would be a nice background anyway. I'm from Texas and apparently the bluebonnets are gorgeous this year, do you have anything like that?

Are there any wildflower fields near you, possibly just on the side of a road? That might be nice, of course you wouldn't actually use a John Deere on wildflowers but it would be a nice background anyway. I'm from Texas and apparently the bluebonnets are gorgeous this year, do you have anything like that?

They are. And blooming everywhere. I have seen them in lots of places where I have not seen them for over a decade. Now on the flipside pollen counts are through the roof and my sinuses have been feeling it hard!

When you get it printed go to Costco. You can upload it to their website and then pick it up next day at the store. Pretty good quality and super cheap. Don't get the poster board, just get a regular print for $5-10 and then grab a frame from michaels or target and you're set.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back