need some help

s3rocks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i need some advice on lightning, i just want to know if you can give me examples of a setup to use for portraits 1 to let say 8 people
i like this one

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that kit is an absolute POS. The light is a cheap piece of Chinese junk with hardly enough power to light a cantaloupe (45 watt seconds). Even for one person, you're looking at a cost of roughly $400 for one decent light, plus stand, speed-ring, and soft-box-- and that's if you get a good deal. You might be able to get away with a 160 w/s strobe for a single person, but really you'd want to aim for one with about 300 w/s of power. Ideally, you'd want two lights. Shooting 8 people is a very tall order in terms of light power. If I were shooting 8 people, I would want several strobes with power ratings of 600 w/s or higher depending on the setting in which you were shooting and the style you were going for.

For budget lights, look at the following makers:
Dynalite
Alien Bees/ White Lightning
SP Studio Systems
Interfit
Sunpak

Some of my less favorite, but affordables:
Smith Victor
JTL

You could also try looking at these brands used:
Calumet
Hensel

When you are looking at specs, just bear in mind that some companies inflate their watt second ratings by using 'effective watt seconds'. For example, an Alien Bees B400 is a 160 Ws unit, a Dyna-Lite UNI400JR is a 400 Ws unit when used on mains power. There's a very big difference in price between those two, however. Alien Bees are completely open and honest about this, fortunately.

For budget lights, look at the following makers:
Dynalite

Dyna-Lites are budget lights? Surely you meant to put them in the 'consider used' list - to which I would add at least Bowens, Balcar and Speedotron.

Best,
Helen

Damnit I keep confusing Dyna-Lites with cheap junk. You're absolutely correct.

As for your other recommendations, I'm not that huge a fan of Bowens older monolights, though that may just be my personal taste/distrust of their reliability/availability of flash-tubes.

As for Speedo, perhaps the Brown line used, but still pushing the price envelope.

The black line I would lump in with Profoto and Broncolor.

i also saw that amazon kit and thought for the price i could go with it.

that's my main issue i don't have 1k to spend, at least not right now, but i need some source of ligth!! :(

Buy a single good light and a couple accessories, and learn to use it well. Then add on more lights.

Most reactions

Back