Need Some Help

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm beginning to work on my portfolio and need some any tips you all might have, and also opinions on my work to include in it as well. The main reason for the portfolio is to first get an internship and then later for job opportunities. I'm looking at doing the internship in January or maybe next summer, if January I will need to submit it this fall.

The internship I am wanting to do is at a missions type headquarters where they send out PJ's and also videographers to travel all over and do mission work through pics and such and bring them back for publication. I know a few folks that will recommend me, but will need a strong portfolio to back it up.

What I was thinking was that I would need a lot of shots from travel abroad. I have lots of shots from Cambodia that should work for this...but then I figured I would need other shots as well to show versatility (am I right in thinking this?).

So any tips that you all have would be greatly appreciated. I also have a vast amount of shots to sort through and would really appreciate your opinions.
Here is the link to my photobucket account and you should be able to login as a guest using password: tpf I just uploaded some cambodia shots, and some can be found at my website (see sig) and there are tons more not posted. Most of my other best shots can be found through my pb gallery as well...

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Hi Amanda,

Did you mean to include a link to your photobucket account? I looked at your Cambodia shots on your freeweb page and I really like the black and white children shots. Those are definite keepers.

Some excellent photos in all 3 albums. Very inspiring for a newbie to the hobbie like me! How about a few action/sport shots tho?

Thanks :) I currently have never shot any sports related photos although I have plans to do so in the upcoming year...I'm not sure if that would be something to include in a portfolio of this kind though, but will definitely consider it depending on how the shots turn out this fall :)

Hey Amanda,
I am curious about what style do you feel fits you the best? You have alot of different styles in your photos. I see the photojournalist and the abstract as you strongest. Maybe by narrowing down those styles, then producing a portfolio would be easier and it makes it more concise.

Thanks for the reponse and great question Kevin :) I think I've tried a little bit of everything aside from sports thus far, and personally feel that PJ is my strongest as well...but is something that's hard to shoot here where I live...which is why I really enjoy the cambodia shots, and also is what I think the people that see the portfolio will be looking for. I enjoy abstract and landscapes shots...although I don't really feel confident in either area, but am trying to branch out past that. I will definitely try to narrow it down a bit though..

So do you think I should only concentrate the portfolio on two styles or have a variety of others??? For instance just PF and abstract shots, or PJ, abstract, flowers, landscapes, portraits? I'm trying to think from their perspective but really am having a hard time figuring what they'd want :)

Again thanks for the reponses thus far, this is new to me so I can use all the help you all have to offer :)

Do they have any samples of the what they have used?

I think the portfolio should be very focused. Keep a theme moving through it.

I'm not familiar with Missouri, but are there some areas like reservations or ethnic communities that you could do more of the PJ? That might be a way to build up that part of the portfolio.

I created my own portfolio many years ago when I first got in to photography.

I included all the current clippings from newspapers and photos in them in colour and any other photos I had ... ran in to about 40 photos in total.

Any published works are essential to prove you have done something..... but that is my view.

Good luck with it.

Thanks Kevin and Lensmeister :) I have had a few pics in our college newspaper, but I think the paper sucks along with most of the pics in it, and the shots that were in print were my Cambodia pics...but I will probably include them, I had forgotten about that so thanks :)

Kevin, I'm not sure locally what is available reseravation wise...I have some shots from Tijauana as well, but the quality is lacking...I am going to St. Louis in a month, so I might try and do some street type work while I'm there....I'll check when classes start next semester and see if they have some examples. We're getting a new photog teacher, so maybe he can help with ideas as well...

Still sorting through things, and will try and divide them up to choose the best works :) Thanks again for those reponses so far!!! Your opinions are essential!!!

Why would a mission send out pj's. Joking of course. I am guessing that you meant photojournalists. I would start with 20 prints and have a someone else narrow it down to 10 or 12. The prints should be window matted and more importantly; FLAWLESS. You mentioned that you know people that have been through the mission program. Try and have their help during the whole process.

I am no Jay Maisel... BUT since you asked... Keep the book tight. A story or illustration of events may be more important than great portraits and sunsets etc. You will have to prove that you can get striking shots of the local church bazaar or tree planting or whatever. Ultimately they will have to say "we need Amanda's eye" on this one.

:lol: Yes photojournalists is what I meant :lol: I will work on choosing 20 then, and maybe this fall I can have the new teach help me choose the ten...
I will work on the story aspect rather than just the portaits...I have many shots of building projects and other things that should help in that. Thanks for the tips Craig :)

Most reactions

Back