Need some help!

Laura101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forum so I should introduce myself first I suppose. My name is Laura and I have started doing photography about a year and a half ago after the birth of my son. I do some "professional" photography now. I have a Nikon D90 and a couple lenses, including a 60mm Macro and a 70-300mm. I'm looking for a great portrait lens and also the best outdoor lens. My focus is on "Lifestyle" photography so kids, families, weddings, etc.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

No doubt.

For professional results, you want to use professional grade glass:
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

If your budget doesn't allow getting the current pro glass, you can get the previous generation pro glass:
Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

You can also save some money by buying used lenses, and/or consider lenes from a 3rd party lens maker like Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina.

Doing portraits requires having several lenses available, because a lens that works for a portrait of one person isn't always the choice if you're shooting a family of 6 or an even large group.

My favorite Nikon portrait lens was the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734998-USA/Nikon_2188_AF_S_NIKKOR_200mm_f_2_0.html

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks but right now thats a little out of my price range. One day I'll be able to get those lenses.....I hope ;)

On a budget, I'd say the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D would be something to look at for a portrait lens. With your DX sensor D90, you could also make due with a 50mm (which converts to 75mm with the DX sensors 1.5x crop).

Also, don't overlook older glass. The Nikkor 35-70 f/2.8 (53-105 on DX) is a great performer that can be had used for under $500 all day. But be aware that a haze on the internal elements is very common. Some eBay listings will make it sound like this is something that is easily fixed. I seriously doubt it is otherwise it would have been done before the lens was put up for sale. That is just me speculating though. I've never researched it so I may be completely wrong on that.

Most reactions

Back