Need some ideas for a new business name

kmorr1121

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone! I am currently brainstorming some ideas for a photography studio name for my new business. I was with a photographer for 6 years and was ready to spread my wings and start my own business. I currently do weddings, babies, sports, seniors and boudoir photography. I will be the sole owner to start off but my friend Jennie will be joining in about 6 months so I wanted to keep my name out of it. ( i.e Kristin Morrison Photography). I also don't want anything to "cutsie" because I do shoot a few different sports leagues. Any help would be great!

Thank you.

xXx-PhOtOeXtreMe-xXx taken yet? :lol:

Hi Everyone! I am currently brainstorming some ideas for a photography studio name for my new business. I was with a photographer for 6 years and was ready to spread my wings and start my own business. I currently do weddings, babies, sports, seniors and boudoir photography. I will be the sole owner to start off but my friend Jennie will be joining in about 6 months so I wanted to keep my name out of it. ( i.e Kristin Morrison Photography). I also don't want anything to "cutsie" because I do shoot a few different sports leagues. Any help would be great!

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums.

I suggest you look around a bit more, there is an area dedicated to professionals and related topics ;) This topic is hardly appropriate for a beginner section, and your posting it here doesn't lend much credibility towards calling yourself a professional.

You need to be sure the Internet domain name is available for whatever names make it onto your possibles list.

I have moved your thread from the Beginners forum, to the General Shop Talk forum section in The Business District.

Thank you.

So whats your style?You have not described a style. Ideally a name either implies some sort of intended meaning or attitude. How would you describe your style or what you try to convey with your work? What are you truly passionate about? And a few picture examples wouldnt hurt.

If a retail photographer doesn't adapt their 'style' to fit what's currently popular with customers, putting food on the table may get tough.

So as a photographer's 'style' evolves, a business name chosen based on 'style' may need to be changed negating years of business name recognition.

togalive said:
Welcome to the forums.

I suggest you look around a bit more, there is an area dedicated to professionals and related topics ;) This topic is hardly appropriate for a beginner section, and your posting it here doesn't lend much credibility towards calling yourself a professional.

No need to be rude. I am new to forums ad don't appreciate your negativity.

YAWWAC.comYet another woman with a camera.

Now don't be sexist... that should be YAMWAC. (yet another mom with a camera) BTW,, YAMWAC.com and YAMWACPHOTOGRAPHY.com are available ;)

Last edited:
togalive said:
Welcome to the forums.

No need to be rude. I am new to forums ad don't appreciate your negativity.

Well.. are you a beginner or a professional? If you are a beginner... and posting in the BEGINNERS SECTION.. then why are you starting a BUSINESS????

If you are a Professional, then why are you posting in the BEGINNERS SECTION? (bet it was a Freudian slip... subconscious honesty wins out!)

Picking a business name is tough. From a practical point of view, I think there are two critical factors
1) When you google for a potential name, there should be not much on the first page that would count as a competitor to you
2) The domain name for your chosen name must be available

You can often do this by combining three words (and adding .com), which is why names with "photography" added at the end can work well

As for specific suggestions, i'm afraid that will come down to what you like, (plus i'm terrible at coming up with suggestions)

Laurie

This chick said she worked for a photographer for 6 years and has experience shooting in various areas that we all know to be difficult. Assuming that she is just "another woman with a camera" is a bit sexist and indicative of your own insecurity as a photographer. She obviously isn't competing in any of your local markets ( those of you that made mean spirited comments, that is) so why not answer the question.It's not like she asked "what button do I push to take the picture?"To answer the question kmorr1121, I agree with some of the other comments made here. Starting out on your own typically requires that you take on a variety of work and that may not be what you enjoy shooting for the rest of your career. I would lean toward something more general that you won't mind changing when you move toward a more specialized area that will end up defining your career. Naming your studio will be very personal though so, not knowing you personally, it's hard to offer suggestions. Just start throwing Out ideas on paper and you'll start to see what is important to you. That should help lead you to a name that you'll be happy with. Good luck to you, there is plenty of work out there for all of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
This chick said she worked for a photographer for 6 years and has experience shooting in various areas that we all know to be difficult. Assuming that she is just "another woman with a camera" is a bit sexist and indicative of your own insecurity as a photographer. She obviously isn't competing in any of your local markets ( those of you that made mean spirited comments, that is) so why not answer the question? It's not like she asked "what button do I push to take the picture?"To answer the question kmorr1121, I agree with some of the other comments made here. Starting out on your own typically requires that you take on a variety of work and that may not be what you enjoy shooting for the rest of your career. I would lean toward something more general that you won't mind changing when you move toward a more specialized area that will end up defining your career. Naming your studio will be very personal though so, not knowing you personally, it's hard to offer suggestions. Just start throwing Out ideas on paper and you'll start to see what is important to you. That should help lead you to a name that you'll be happy with. Good luck to you, there is plenty of work out there for all of us.

illshootanything.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back