Need some ideas on 50D and D90 (buying before 20th of the month)

Sharfy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of buying NikonD90 or Canon50D camera, any suggestions and comment on the said items?

Opinions, suggestions and comments are highly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

I'm glad you posted this topic. First off I'm sorry that I can't add anything, but I'm going to be upgrading soon also and I'm thinking about a move to Canon. I take a lot of sequence shots so I like that the Canon's can shoot continuously longer. It also seems to me that Canon lenses and lenses for Canon camera's are cheaper on the average. I'd like to know what people have to say also as I'm thinking between the d90 or maybe the T2i or 50D.

I'm glad you posted this topic. First off I'm sorry that I can't add anything, but I'm going to be upgrading soon also and I'm thinking about a move to Canon. I take a lot of sequence shots so I like that the Canon's can shoot continuously longer. It also seems to me that Canon lenses and lenses for Canon camera's are cheaper on the average. I'd like to know what people have to say also as I'm thinking between the d90 or maybe the T2i or 50D.

got this link and hope it will help

Nikon D90 Compared to Canon EOS 50D and D80, D300

I love both cameras and made a choice to buy D90, but still I want to know more suggestions and ideas on both items. I have been going to shops for months and hold both camera.

You're thinking of buying one of two soon to be discontinued cameras, each near the end of its life...hmmm....

You're thinking of buying one of two soon to be discontinued cameras, each near the end of its life...hmmm....

Thanks for the info Derrel, just now from you I heard this...:( I am planning of d300 but I getting out of budget for it. Any suggestion of a good a camera? I am a newbie (taking pictures with SLR just this year from a Sony230a)

Thanks for the info Derrel, just now from you I heard this...:( I am planning of d300 but I getting out of budget for it. Any suggestion of a good a camera? I am a newbie (taking pictures with SLR just this year from a Sony230a)

I am really in atrouble of making a choice. I will be engaging more on indoor photography soon.

Ideas are really appreciated thanks in advance;)

I'm completely aware of that, but it doesn't make them bad, and I'm not going to have a whole bunch of budget for the brand new ones. I don't know, though. I'll see when the D90 replacement comes how much it is. I won't be upgrading until Feb.

I'm completely aware of that, but it doesn't make them bad, and I'm not going to have a whole bunch of budget for the brand new ones. I don't know, though. I'll see when the D90 replacement comes how much it is. I won't be upgrading until Feb.

for me I will buy a new one and just upgrade by end of 2011. I am not really aware because I was just into a hobby and not photography seriously. It is so good I registered in this Photo forum for me to take is into the next level and serious work.

i have nikon gear and notice the same thing, altho i keep hearing that nikon glass is optically superior to canon's. Even if that is true i dont think it would be a major difference. Also both of those cameras are on the way out, wait a lil while and u can get somethin much better. Possibly the next d5000 d51000, d90 and d5000 were very similar in fact they share the same sensor. I have the d5000 and initially i kept mopin around how i should of gotten the d90 but when i started actually seeing past its few shortcomings and actually got out with it i realized the d5000 was a smarter move than the d90 and it saves me money that i can spend on lenses, you'll notice that lens prices havent changed much even tho new camera's are coming out. I recommend u get the next d5000 or if u really want to choose now the current d5000 over the d90. For shooting indoors ur lens choice is more important, with what u save u can buy a f1.8 lens and a flash. I recommend buying refurb, i've purchased a refrub lens are quality from nikon refurb is practically the same as new and u still get warranty.

d5000 refurb here for $484
25452B Nikon D5000 DX-Format 12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A.
35 f1.8 lens 200+ sb 600 200
total spent $884, if u go sb 400 u spend $780ish
refurb body only d90 $780
25446B Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A.

with the d90 the extra's ur getting are better lcd and top lcd, faster flash sync built in af motor, and the ability to be a master flash.

if this is ur first camera and u want to buy now i strongly recommend the d5000, pretty soon the body will be worth very little with the new cameras on the way so spend ur money on lenses and flash!!! the 35 1.8 is an awesome lens i barely take out the kit lens or the 55-200.

i have nikon gear and notice the same thing, altho i keep hearing that nikon glass is optically superior to canon's. Even if that is true i dont think it would be a major difference. Also both of those cameras are on the way out, wait a lil while and u can get somethin much better. Possibly the next d5000 d51000, d90 and d5000 were very similar in fact they share the same sensor. I have the d5000 and initially i kept mopin around how i should of gotten the d90 but when i started actually seeing past its few shortcomings and actually got out with it i realized the d5000 was a smarter move than the d90 and it saves me money that i can spend on lenses, you'll notice that lens prices havent changed much even tho new camera's are coming out. I recommend u get the next d5000 or if u really want to choose now the current d5000 over the d90. For shooting indoors ur lens choice is more important, with what u save u can buy a f1.8 lens and a flash. I recommend buying refurb, i've purchased a refrub lens are quality from nikon refurb is practically the same as new and u still get warranty.

25452B Nikon D5000 DX-Format 12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A.

with the d90 the extra's ur getting are better lcd and top lcd, faster flash sync built in af motor, and the ability to be a master flash.

if this is ur first camera and u want to buy now i strongly recommend the d5000, pretty soon the body will be worth very little with the new cameras on the way so spend ur money on lenses and flash!!! the 35 1.8 is an awesome lens i barely take out the kit lens or the 55-200.

A big thanks for that! I still have a week to think all of this and the incoming opinions and ideas.

Definitely thanks. I do want to stick with Nikon. I love my camera, I know the controls and I have lenses for the brand. I think I may go for the D5000. The only thing that's kind of sticking me up on the D90 is that I keep hearing that Nikon is looking to phase out auto focus bodies like Canon. But I hear they are doing it because in lens AF is better than in body. So I'm not really sure what I'll do. The D5000 seems like the smarter choice to me because I mostly shoot portraits for money, so I don't need a giant collection of lenses. If that were the case I'd definitely go with the D90, but ahhh we'll see when the time comes and the money is in my hand.

Definitely thanks. I do want to stick with Nikon. I love my camera, I know the controls and I have lenses for the brand. I think I may go for the D5000. The only thing that's kind of sticking me up on the D90 is that I keep hearing that Nikon is looking to phase out auto focus bodies like Canon. But I hear they are doing it because in lens AF is better than in body. So I'm not really sure what I'll do. The D5000 seems like the smarter choice to me because I mostly shoot portraits for money, so I don't need a giant collection of lenses. If that were the case I'd definitely go with the D90, but ahhh we'll see when the time comes and the money is in my hand.

I am really having a good time reading all of the replies ;).... Thank's blake for you comments.

most of the lenses that u'll need are afs (autofocus built in) the only one yet to not have af is the 50mm 1.8 (but there is the 1.4g but its 4x as much) initially when i got my d5000 i was kinda pissed because af lenses can be had for cheaper used and offbrand lenses are usually AF not AFS and are much cheaper than nikon BUT if u buy afs they will be more useful in the future, and u wanna stick to nikon brand because u bought ur camera so u can use the superior optics!!! if u are just doing portrait work u can buy some af lenses and use them as manual focus, there is a range finder in the viewfinder which lets u know if ur in focus, this is great if ur subject is stationary but a ***** i its moving. Nikon is also coming out with more new afs lenses, so lens selection is no longer a big deal imho.

check out this page for compatibility:
Nikon Lens Compatibility
u'll notice that d5000 is actually compatible with more lenses than d90 but with AF lenses u loose autofocus but still retain every other significant function. you can buy even older lenses to use that will work, sometimes there are some pretty good deals on local classified and ebay, i picked up a Nikon em for $15 delivered with a 50mm 1.8 series e and even tho the camera was broken the lens is great for fooling around and reversing it for macro.

things u will miss if u buy d5000 over d90 are as follows:
-af motor, this was a big deal to me when i first started but honestly not a big deal nemore
-dedicated buttons for functions, u can get around it, there is a programable button on d5000 which u can set to iso and then u can have dedicated buttons for iso, shutter speed and aperature!!! so not a big deal either
-flash commander and higher flash sync: this is the only thing i wish d5000 had i would love to do off camera flash with ttl currently i use cheap ebay triggers which work great but its all manual, not a problem if ur doing portraits
- top lcd, basically the d90 feels more pro than the d5000 and lets u change functions easier and has the top lcd for quick review, after a few weeks you dont miss these features nemore.
ur missing out on quite a bit BUT for a first time (even 2nd or 3rd really) slr i think the d5000 is better when u upgrade u can skip the d90 and have all these and better features

lastly... i know its kinda stupid but i love shooting with an af camera cause i love the little auto-focus sound... along with changing settings on a more prosumer camera is fun... but this isnt enough for me to spend more $$$

just got home from a shop (again) to check out D90 and 50D, Yeah! Nikon is the brand :)

How about those 50mm lens? what is the diff between 1.4g and 1.8, aside from prices?

D90 here in Dubai had a free 18-106mm lens and trying to buy 50mm lenses also instead of buying D300.

I will be buying on October not this month because there is a big Sale festival next month for gadgets and appliances :)

both lenses are tack sharp but the 1.8 has less distortion ( 50 1.8 and 50 1.4) the 1.8 is a pure af lens and will work fully with ur d90 it also has an aperture ring which the 1.4 doesnt. This is good if u use on older cameras or if u decide to reverse the lens, does not matter when its mounted cause u will be leaving the lens on max aperture and camera will set the proper aperture. both lenses are awesome for low light photography, the 1.4 obviously is just a tiny bit better one stop to be exact (i think its one stop) but u have to realize that usually lenses are least sharpest when they are shot wide open, so when u shoot the 50 at 1.8 it will be at its least sharpest setting same goes for the 1.4 at 1.4 BUT when u move the 1.4 to 1.8 its supposed to be sharper than the 1.8 because u have a bit of wiggle room. so the 1.4 at f2 will be sharper than the 1.8 but by the time u hit 2.8-4 it will be exactly the same. Also u get very little depth of field at 1.4 so it might sometimes give u softer images, no matter cause u can stop the aperature down, but by doing so ur wasting money as u can have the 50 1.8 for 1/4 the price.
the other thing is that the 1.4g is fully compatible with d5000 and cameras without af motor so if u want compatibility for future cameras maybe thats the one to go with (some say there are rumours for phasing out af motors in prosumer bodies) the 1.8 doesnt have a af motor in the lens so it will only af with cameras that have af built into them. I have the 1.8 and i LOVE it, i mainly use it on my d5000 if i have a stationary subject but it usually is stuck to my n90s. The last thing is that the 1.4g will be quieter since the body isnt focusing. I would go for the 1.8 if i had the d90 hell i have the d5000 i went for the 1.8 i kinda want the 1.4 but wouldnt get it unless i have money to burn the 1.8 is enough for what i need i recommend it, its alot less cheaper than the 1.4, how about the 1.8 and an sb-600? u still save $$$

Most reactions

New Topics

Back