Need some lens advise

saltydog3317

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need some advise on which lens to buy for my Nikon D40.
AF NIKKOR 50mm f1.8D

OR

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G

I was told the 50 mm wont Auto Focus but other than that the lens will be very sharp. But, for a little more money how will the 35 mm perform for me?
I believe this lens WILL Auto Focus on my D40. Other than that how sharp is the picture on this lens compared to the 50 mm? Which one will be better inside? Which will be better outside?
Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

There's not much info on the 35; it's brand-new lens, but by all accounts it should be pretty good. You're right, the 1.8 won't auto-focus and the 35 will. The 1.8 will have an equivalent FL of ~75mm which is a mild telephoto; the 35mm gives you an equivalent of 50mm which is considered a "normal" FOV. My only issue with the 35mm is the plastic lens mount.

I have a chance to buy the 50 mm for $100 and just want to make sure I wont regret buying it. It takes pretty sharp pictures I have read and have also heard manual focus isn't that big of a deal.
Whats your take on the 50 mm and how will I like it on the Nikon D40?

Kevin

From what I have read from other D40 users is that the focus dot in the viewfinder will show when the image is in focus but, dont quote me on it.

I'm in the same position and I'm going to wait for the 35mm

From what I have read from other D40 users is that the focus dot in the viewfinder will show when the image is in focus but, dont quote me on it.

Can anyone verify if this is fact? I might be inclined to buy the 50 mm if the focus dot in the viewfinder actually does show when the object is in focus.
Anyone with a D40 have any experience with a Nikon 50 mm 1.8 ?

Kevin

If the lens says AF-S then it will AF on the D40 if it just says AF then no it wont . I just bought the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM and this thing rocks.........

Most reactions

Back