Need some lighting tips

Pubb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this picture to depict the word luddite.... the rejection or destruction technology. I have no idea about lighting and do not own anything like studio lights. I attempted to use lamps and soft sunlight from windows. Could I have saved this composition with better light or was the composition just doomed from the start.

Oct10_001-9.jpg

I don't think this image shows the rejection of technology, to me it is embracing it.

I was hoping the viewer would look at this and decide what side they were on in regards to digital media, the white new or the dark old.

I might have fallen short with the message.

Thanks Bitter for looking.

The shadow the cup is casting blows the lighting. The light source nees to be much higher so the shadow of the cup is much lower.

As far as the composition, it's not simple enough and I agree with Bitter it is exactly opposite to your intention.

You don't need studio lighting. You need lighting knowledge. Lighting for a small scene like you have there could be done with around-the-house diffusers and reflectors used to modify the lamp and window light.

I was hoping the viewer would look at this and decide what side they were on in regards to digital media, the white new or the dark old.

I might have fallen short with the message.

Thanks Bitter for looking.

Yeah.

What it is showing, is how big and bulky books are, and how easy it is to carry around a library with the Kindle.

You got me thinking how would you make an image to depict that word. It's interesting to think about. I haven't come to an idea yet, that doesn't involve playing "Will it blend" with the Kindle. :lmao:

http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=oldspice

shadow from the mug on the kindle is a no no i would move the light to the left so the shadow hits the books and gets lost..

the mug is a little TOO perfectly placed in the middle i think.. maybe move it around a bit see if a different placement makes the shot look a little more dynamic..

other than that id brighten it up a bit.. and move everything further away from the back wall.. the texture and the shadows in the wall behind the objects makes the shot a little less exciting i feel.. try getting a bit more dof in the shot by moving it away from the background..

well done so far though.. i love product photography.. its a fine art!

Thanks for the tips all. I do need some lighting knowledge, I moved lights around a lot to learn through experience. I will keep in mind your tips.

I think the big thing I did learn from you all is that I shot this in the space I had when I could have easily moved some stuff to make the space I needed.

Is there a good book about lighting you would recommend?

I have found my photography has gotten a lot better when I shot something with a specific meaning in mind, even if the meaning does not come across in the final product. Now the trick is to get the viewer to understand the meaning I had in mind. So far I am 0-2 with Bitter on meaning.

Thanks again for the tips.

The basic principles are well covered in Light: Science and Magic, An Introduction To Photographic Lighting by Hunter, Biver, and Faqua.

As far as Bitter's meaning, it seemed pretty clear from where I sit.

Use the kindle for a coaster, lay your coffee cup on it. Open one of the books, like you're reading it. I'd maybe put an apple on the kindle as well. Use a reading lamp (one that bends) and point it down at the book... show the light in the frame.

Nice idea Rez, I might try that tomorrow.

Most reactions

Back