Need some opinions/reactions...

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this is year 4 for me entering in the photography context in our local Bolton fair. I've won Best in Show three years in a row and hoping to make it a fourth. So... trying to pick what to put in and was curious of people's thoughts and general reactions.

So first, the options... For "people", I was thinking one of these THREE shots.

==P1==
Flightless%20Buttress%20-%20083.jpg

Or...

==P2==
Wedding%20-%20Rachelle%20and%20Steven%20-%200972%20bw.jpg

OR...

==P3==
Commuter%20Rail%202%20-%20008%20mon.jpg

For Scenic/Architecture, I was thinking either...

==A1==
Salem%20Day%20-%20Around%20Town%20-%20008%20bw.jpg

Or...

==A2==
Boston%20-%20Davis%20Square%20-%20April%202010%20-%20028.jpg

For "Fine Art", which is really just a big catch-all, I was thinking...

==F1==
Salem%20Day%20-%20Old%20Burial%20Ground%20-%20014.jpg

Or...

==F2==
Boston%20Night%20-%2020080611%20-%20Trinity%20Church%20-%20007.jpg

Which do you think? Any positive or reactions to any? All thoughts welcome.

Red Line, but straighten it a tiny bit.

Fire escapes.

Hanged.

Thanks guys! Straighten? Hmm. I thought it was bolt straight. I'll check!

P3 - strange and quirky and a few people seem to jump out. I might crop the bottom a little and make it more of a pano. There is some OOF stuff at the bottom that doesn't help and the wide format goes with the quirkiness, at least to me. The other shots have good elements in them, but they don't hang together to create a definite feeling like P3.

A1 - nice, but needs more contrast in the mid-tones and a darker upper right corner.

F2 is quite nice. I like the idea of F1, but I think it needs more DOF to work.

P3 - it has a great tension, almost schizophrenic feel about it. It actually tells a powerful story about us. Red Line - it is just two misicians playing and noone is listening, probably I am missing something, but it leaves me cold. P2 is interesting as well. But there are so many shots of rock bands....
A1 - I like it - good shot wth great lines. Agree about contrast - it sort of is lacking the focal point, so more contrast probably would help.
F1 - is more interesting than F2 to me. I very rarely find symmetrical compositions of that kind really appealing. I do not even know who the hell these two guys are.. So I am with ANNA or what was his/her name..
Good luck!

So this is year 4 for me entering in the photography context in our local Bolton fair. I've won Best in Show three years in a row and hoping to make it a fourth.

P2, A2, F2

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone! Some great feedback. Seems like the weight is mostly on the 1s... which isn't too surprising as I think I posted them first because I was most drawn to them. Still... they all call to me on some level. Future yearly submissions, maybe. :)

Oh and :lol: runnah. :)

Hm, I'm actually surprised no one voted for A2....

I thought A2 looked like a hip-shot...cut off feet on the people, incomplete base on the diner, distorted from a short focal length lens...it just looks "haphazard", and "incomplete". The horizon is wayyyy tilted, the people are blurred...all in all, since I have utterly NO personal connection with Boston, nor the diner, NOR the beautiful night this was shot on--the shot is just "mehhhh". I suspect there's a personal connection to this shot that makes it seem good to you. I do not want to sound disrespectful, but it's not a very good photo on any level, at least from my disinterested third-party POV.

I did! Jeez!

Whoops. Missed that. :)

I thought A2 looked like a hip-shot...cut off feet on the people, incomplete base on the diner, distorted from a short focal length lens...it just looks "haphazard", and "incomplete". The horizon is wayyyy tilted, the people are blurred...all in all, since I have utterly NO personal connection with Boston, nor the diner, NOR the beautiful night this was shot on--the shot is just "mehhhh". I suspect there's a personal connection to this shot that makes it seem good to you. I do not want to sound disrespectful, but it's not a very good photo on any level, at least from my disinterested third-party POV.

huh, really? Interesting. I love that shot. It wasn't a hip shot at all. Very much planned... tripod and the whole thing. I don't have a personal connection to it other than it being local, but I quite like the shot. I appreciate your comments on it, though... very interesting. I don't usually find I like a shot that much to have it fall that flat with someone on here I respect.

Well... except my angels. :)

P3, A1, F1!

Let us know how you do, and good luck!

Thanks, and I definitely will!

Most reactions

Back