need some pricing help and advice

bastatag

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK, now I know i'm going to get flamed for this but everyone starts out somewhere.

Here's the background story. My wife has been showing pictures that i've taken to her coworker and they asked if i can do some small photo shoots for them. Now by no means i'm not a pro (and she told them this). She let them know that i'm trying to start my own photo business and that i'm just looking for experience now to build a portfolio. She told them that they aren't going to be "professional level". Everyone said, that's fine and still agreed.

So my upcoming shoots include:
2 - e-sessions
1 - e-party
2 - newborn shoots.

My question is, what is a fair price to charge for these. They are all demanding that they pay me something. Now obviously i don't want to take advantage of them but i do want to charge something so i can make some money for more equipment. Do you guys usually have a set price per session or is it an hourly charge?

Last question is about printing the finished photos. Are they're any places online that are better then others. If you guys know any good links please post them.

Sorry for the long post
~Keefe

P.S. Here is a list of my gear (and yes i know i need a second body)
D50
50mm 1.8
18-55 kit
28-75 2.8
70-300 3.5-4.6
[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] SB-800
Gary Fong Lightsphere 2
Stroboframe flip bracket
Off camera flash cord
[/FONT]

Setting your price has a lot of factors...maybe try breaking it down.

How much time will you spend? Include travel time, shooting time, editing time (may be much longer than shooting time), and any other time you will spend on it...like meeting with them before and after etc. You could then decide what you think your time is worth, per hour and change accordingly.

Don't forget to figure in any actual costs you may have, prints etc....and give yourself a profit margin on those.

You may want to consider the overhead; cost of equipment, vehicle use, business expenses etc.

These are things that you will need to think about, if you plan to make a successful business out of this. You may feel that this would be too much, given your experience level. It's OK to pay yourself very little, in order to build up your business & portfolio....but don't charge too little...because if you don't value your time and effort, other people won't either.

You may also want to think about your price/package structure. You may want to just charge them a fee and hand over a CD of images. Or you may want to sell them prints etc.

Sounds good....i'll really have to sit down and figure it all out. I'll probly go with an hourly charge. Still debating on prints vs. cds.

Also, i forgot to include the following equipment
[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
SB-800
Gary Fong Lightsphere 2
Stroboframe flip bracket
Off camera flash cord
[/FONT]

gift certificates!

thats what I suggest to people that insist on paying me, even if I've told them i would do it for free........

I have a general rule that I dont charge friends or family for my time...............there are plenty of strangers out there I can bill.

Most reactions

Back