Need some thoughts on enhancing local contrast (IR HDR foliage shots)

malonzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I wasn't expecting to find myself taking HDR photos but...

I have a research project wherein I attempt to isolate tree/shrub foliage from non-foliage (e.g. branches, buildings). I am using a fisheye lens attached to a Nikon Coolpix 5400 that has been retrofit to shoot in the IR. This is helpful since foliage has a very strong IR response. A common problem in using hemispherical photography to measure foliage is uneven illumination conditions. These conditions make it more difficult to set thresholds that will separate leaves from other stuff. HDR photography appears useful in circumventing this issue and I've gotten some useful results.

That said, I am not skilled in this art and am basically just accepting presets in Dynamic Photo HDR. I think I could be doing a better job enhancing the local contrast between branches and foliage given the increased dynamic range. I am posting two photos. The first is one shot under relatively good conditions: limited shadowing and bright foliage. However, I'd like your thoughts on how (or if it's possible) to highlight the contrast in the circled areas. The second photo is shot under trickier conditions: dense coniferous shadow. HDR has already helped this result a lot but, again, I'm wondering if I can do better in distinguishing the little branches from the foliage.

(Photos shot using AEB -1,0,+1 which is the max allowed automatically).

Thank you for your thoughts,
Mike Alonzo

$DSCN1978_stem_contrast_BDL_jpg.jpg
$DSCN2082_cupressus_branchlets_jpg.jpg

It is possible to edit these but it might be better to use some sort of lens filter that would differentiate branches from foliage better.
If you will allow I can repost this somewhere that some very knowledgeable ir people lurk. (It is a subscription site so you don't have access but I would direct them to you.)$DSCN2082_cupressus_branchletslll.jpg$DSCN1978_stem_contrast_BDL.jpg

Please go ahead and repost elsewhere. I'd be interested to hear from the IR folks too. Thanks!

Mike

Local contrast can be enhanced post process by using the UnSharp Mask (USM) filter in Adobe Photoshop CS 3/4/5/6 or some other image editing application.

Set the USM's Amount slider to a low figure, like 10%, and set the Radius slider to a high number like 200 to 250.
Doing the local contrast enhancement on a duplicated layer, the effect can be added up by making additional duplicate layers.

Another way to enhance local contrast post process is to boost the mid-tone contrast. In a Raw converter like Adobe Camera Raw the Clarity slider in the Presence section of sliders adjusts mid-tone contrast.

Note: ACR is used by both Photoshop CS(X) Camera Raw and Lightroom (X)'s Develope Module.

HDR work usually entails use of applications like Dynamic Photo HDR, Photomatix, plus Adobe Photoshop.
HDR takes a lot more post process editing than many realize.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back