Need some tips

DrunkenGiraffe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was hoping I could get some c/c on these bird photos. Most were cropped and I am wondering how I did? I felt like there were lots of different crops I could've done so I felt a bit lost. Also any general comments would be greatly appreciated.

Nikon D5000 55-200 kit lens
Taken about 11am and using AP mode

1.f/6.3, ISO 250, 1/320 sec

DSC_3613as.jpg

DSC_3601ah.jpg

3. 1/160 sec
DSC_3579aj.jpg

4. 1/100
DSC_3577aa.jpg

5. f/5.6 1/320 sec Couldn't decide whether a tighter crop would be better here
DSC_3552d.jpg

6. Also wondering what people's opinions to this one is. I quite like it because I feel it looks pretty moody.
f/5.6 1/500 (I'm thinking I should've used a smaller aperture and a slow shutter speed?)
DSC_3554ad.jpg

They are all a little underexposed, no? The only different suggestion I would have for cropping is in number 2. If possible I would leave space in front of the duck rather than behind. Viewers want to see where the duck is going, not where it has been. In general for people/animals you want to leave space to show where they are looking.

I agree that they look a little underexposed... I do like the shots though, and with a little cropping and maybe editing, they could be very nice. I really like the idea of #1, the reflection really adds to the image. Keep it up and keep posting!

You're going to need to sharpen up your fieldcraft, or build a blind so you can get closer.

200 mm won't cut it most of the time. Dedicated bird shooters like to use at least 400 mm lenses and 600 mm is usually the goal.

You're going to need to sharpen up your fieldcraft, or build a blind so you can get closer.

200 mm won't cut it most of the time. Dedicated bird shooters like to use at least 400 mm lenses and 600 mm is usually the goal.

So the photos should be closer to the birds? I would love a longer lens...however I know that isn't going to happen for a long time.

I was able to get really close yesterday, how do they look?

DSC_3840asmall.jpg

DSC_3842asmall.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back