Need suggestion on buying a entry level DSLR

The d3100 does all the same. I dunno where you got your facts but the only thing true is the video which I forgot to mention. But for taking pictures D3100 shoots silently too ( if wanted ), and is wifi compatible, and the rest is all nonsense.

(I've compared both hand to hand)

Ok, well the resolution on the D3200 screen is 921K dots per inch. On the D3100 Screen 230k Dots per inch. Source of fact - Nikon.
The dynamic range on the 3200 is 13.2 EV. On the 3100 it's 11.3 EV. Source of Fact - Nikon.
On low noise to high ISO, the D3200 scores 1,131 - the D3100 only 919 - Source of Fact, DXOMark
The D3200 has 24.1 bit color depth. The D3100 22.5 - source of fact, Nikon.
The D3200 can shoot 4 frames per second, the D3100 only 3. Source of fact, Nikon.
The D3200's maximum ISO is 6400. The D3100, 3200 ISO. Source of Fact, Nikon.
The D3200 shoots video at 30 fps, the D3100 at 24 fps - source of fact, Nikon.

I have nothing against the D3100 mind you, but the 3200 does have multiple advantages over the 3100 as someone else mentioned. Me I'm a huge fan of my 5200's - as far as price vrs performance is concerend I think they are pretty much impossible to beat in their price range.

What I see is the D3300 has the highest-magnification viewfinder ever in a D3xxx series model. And it has the fastest firing rate, 5 frames per second, of any of the D3xxx series models. I know it does not have a big buffer, but the 5 frames per second speed **used to be** state of the art professional-level when the D2x hit the market in late 2004, with a 12.2 MP sensor...now that firing rate and twice the megapixels are available in the lowest-ranked Nikon d-slr model, not a $4,999 camera body.

The Thom Hogan review of the D3300 really gave me a positive impression of what the D3300 can do.

What I see is the D3300 has the highest-magnification viewfinder ever in a D3xxx series model. And it has the fastest firing rate, 5 frames per second, of any of the D3xxx series models. I know it does not have a big buffer, but the 5 frames per second speed **used to be** state of the art professional-level when the D2x hit the market in late 2004, with a 12.2 MP sensor...now that firing rate and twice the megapixels are available in the lowest-ranked Nikon d-slr model, not a $4,999 camera body.

The Thom Hogan review of the D3300 really gave me a positive impression of what the D3300 can do.

unlike some camera companies, (whose names we wont mention...) Nikon has really poured a ton of research and resources into fairly significant upgrades to all of their consumer and pro-sumer cameras at pretty much every price level. the D3xxx, D5xxx, and D7xxx series have all seen some pretty nice upgrades with every new model.
you really cant go wrong with any entry level camera when you are just starting out, but... if you can budget in a camera with Nikon's 24MP sensor, you are waaaaay ahead of pretty much every other brands cameras in the same price bracket as far as straight image quality and dynamic range go.

but hey, I still do a fair bit of shooting with my ooooold Nikon D200 and even oooooolder 35-70 f/2.8 AF or 180mm f/2.8 AF lens and still get great results with them.

I see. I stand corrected. However there still is not much difference in the picture quality.. But I stand corrected, about some of the things I said. Point well taken ;)

The problem I have with the d3000-d5000 series camera bodies is the smallish ergonomics and the lack of dedicated buttons and manual controls. This will mean that the serious armature will quickly out grow them and will be looking to upgrade. With that said I would recommend you look at a D7100. If that is out of your price range look into a used D7000 of even a used D90. These camera bodies have much better ergonomics and have the manual controls to let you get the shot when you see it and makes creative controls much easier. The D7100 has the latest and greatest sensor but the D7000 is still holding its' own and even the D90 is no slouch. (jmho)

The problem I have with the d3000-d5000 series camera bodies is the smallish ergonomics and the lack of dedicated buttons and manual controls. This will mean that the serious armature will quickly out grow them and will be looking to upgrade. With that said I would recommend you look at a D7100. If that is out of your price range look into a used D7000 of even a used D90. These camera bodies have much better ergonomics and have the manual controls to let you get the shot when you see it and makes creative controls much easier. The D7100 has the latest and greatest sensor but the D7000 is still holding its' own and even the D90 is no slouch. (jmho)
True that my friend! I've been looking to upgrade for quite some time now ^^

Well I've never shot the 3x series, but with a few minor menu adjustments the 5x series is very easy to control. I have the function button set to adjust the ISO, so if I need to adjust the ISO at any point all I have to do is press and hold the function button and move the scroll wheel. I usually shoot in shutter priority mode, so I can adjust the shutter speed with the command wheel, then if needed adjust the ISO by pressing and holding the function button and moving the command wheel. If I want to stop down the lens, I can raise the ISO - if I want to open it up, I can lower the ISO or raise the shutter speed. Pretty much gives me all the control I need without ever accessing the menu systems.

If I really want a specific aperture I can switch to aperture priority, and again then adjust my shutter speed by adjusting the aperture and ISO - again all without accessing the menu system. Granted I wouldn't mind have the extra command dial and some of the external buttons of the 7000 or 7100 - but honestly I get by just fine without them.

I agree, but I am pretty sure he won't be spending more than 40K INR or about 665$ for the camera (even that's a stretch). A used D90 could be a good idea, but I have no knowledge of that particular camera.

I agree, but I am pretty sure he won't be spending more than 40K INR or about 665$ for the camera (even that's a stretch). A used D90 could be a good idea, but I have no knowledge of that particular camera.
The D90 is similar in ergonomics and controls to the D7000 with a 12 MP sensor. They are still a very capable camera.
One of the biggest advantages the D90/D7000 has over the D3000/5000 is the viewfinder. 50% bigger and 50% brighter.

Last edited:
I am also really really new to dslr cameras I bought a Nikon D3100 So far I am happy with it seems to be a good entry level camera I bought mine from a pawn shop I got

Nikon D3100,
AF-S DX NON-VR 18-55MM, Nikkor 55-200MM Lenses
and good sturdy tripod
case
extra battery
and 2 8gb memory cards

All for $300

so check you pawn shops might be able to find a good deal on a good camera.

I am also really really new to dslr cameras I bought a Nikon D3100 So far I am happy with it seems to be a good entry level camera I bought mine from a pawn shop I got

Nikon D3100,
AF-S DX NON-VR 18-55MM, Nikkor 55-200MM Lenses
and good sturdy tripod
case
extra battery
and 2 8gb memory cards

All for $300

so check you pawn shops might be able to find a good deal on a good camera.

Great deal. You scored.

Hi guys!...thank you all for your timely suggestion, I bought the nikon d5100 model. Initially thought of buying nikon d3200 model, since many of you pro's told me to go with the d5100, did some research and finally settled with nikon d5100!.... i hope i made the right decision

Another noob here and I also went for the D5100 as my first DSLR after loads of research. I found it a great camera to help me migrate from film over to digital as the combination of image quality and features was really good for the price. Personally I don't think you'll regret the decision at all and there are loads of fantastic AF-S lenses available if you start to get the (almost inevitable) hunger for grabbing a bumload of them in all shapes and sizes - because I wanted to learn as much as possible about digital photography I scoured the internet whenever I couldn't get out to take photos, which was brilliant for gathering free advice & information but can also encourage you to become a bit of a gear head. Or maybe that's just me! Anyway, good luck with the D5100 - I know mine really made it fun to get back into photography.

Hi guys!...thank you all for your timely suggestion, I bought the nikon d5100 model. Initially thought of buying nikon d3200 model, since many of you pro's told me to go with the d5100, did some research and finally settled with nikon d5100!.... i hope i made the right decision
Congratulations.. :) Now what lens are you getting? And when will we see the pictures? :er:

That's the DSLR I started with. I highly recommend that you purchase David Busch's Guide to the D5100. It will go into detail not only about the 5100, but a ton of info on the DSLR world. A wealth of information. It's a great camera, and I see you making an upgrade within or near a year out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back