Need suggestions for cheap lighting...

jedirunner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so it's pretty obvious that I could use something a bit better than what I have for my contrived lighting environment. Right now I have 2 x $10 walmart lamps with fluorescent bulbs in them. It sort of works, for some things, some times.

I plan on eventually getting a reasonable lighting setup downstairs. I haven't looked much into flash work yet -- just "always on" lighting. I do have a single flash unit 580 EXII, but won't be able to build on that environment until i have more money set aside and probably after I invest in new glass.

So, given that wife will only let me spend $50 to $75 right now, what's the best ideas you guys have for getting better lighting for my "studio" type stuff? I could get *more* light by simply using more lamps, though that feels week and inflexible. Are there more serviceable setups by going to (admittedly very low end) photography-targeted lamps of some sort in that price range?

Thanks!

Kevin

Since you are using a 7D, per your profile, I would use the 580 off shoe using your 7D pop up flash as a commander and get a yn560. Use both in slave mode.

I use like, construction lights. I got 2 500 watt bulbs +1 extra on a tripod for 30 bucks. You can also buy them individually. They are pretty much the same bulb "real" continuous lights use. They get hottt though.

What are you shooting ?

get a sync cord for your 580 and use it off camera! Go to your local Home Depot (or equivalent) and buy a piece of the translucent acrylic / plastic panes that they use in the ceiling mounted flourescent fixtures. Place the pane a foot or so in front of your flash.. and you have an instant small scrim. You will have to play with it for best effect, of course.

You can also make a decent cheap diffuser out of some light weight white material, on a 1x2 frame or a PVC frame.

Umbrellas are very inexpensive.. but do require a lightstand, and a speedlight / umbrella adapter.

You can also bounce the flash.. off of a piece of poster board, or foam core.. or even a white pizza box.

lots of options...

Last edited:
thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll take a look at these and see what I can get done. :)

Kevin

You can also get some 250-300 watt daylight balanced flourescent bulbs at Home depot.. the lamps you have should handle them.. and they put out a lot of light....

One aspect of continuous lighting many don't fathom is that most of the light power is wasted if a shutter speed shorter than 1 second is used.

A 500 watt bulb puts out 500 watts in one second (1 watt = 1 joule per second).

If you use a shutter speed shorter than 1 second, you no longer are using 500 watts to make the exposure.
With a shutter speed of 1/2 second only 250W of the 500W will be available for the exposure.
With a shutter speed of 1/4 second only 125W of the 500W will be available for the exposure.
With a shutter speed of 1/10 second only 50W of the 500W will be available for the exposure.
With a shutter speed of 1/100 second only 5W of the 500W will be available for the exposure.

One aspect of continuous lighting many don't fathom is that most of the light power is wasted if a shutter speed shorter than 1 second is used.

If you use a shutter speed shorter than 1 second, you no longer are using 500 watts to make the exposure.
With a shutter speed of 1/2 second only 250W of the 500W will be available for the exposure.
With a shutter speed of 1/4 second only 125W of the 500W will be available for the exposure.
With a shutter speed of 1/10 second only 50W of the 500W will be available for the exposure.
With a shutter speed of 1/100 second only 5W of the 500W will be available for the exposure.

that's good to know. I saw another post with similar information a few weeks back, and made a mental note to read up on that. I'll have to actually do it this time. :) Too many topics to read up on them all in just a few weeks. This photography thing is a whole new world -- an exciting one, and fun to play in -- but definitely a new world. ;-)

Kevin

Since you are using a 7D, per your profile, I would use the 580 off shoe using your 7D pop up flash as a commander and get a yn560. Use both in slave mode.

Agree with Mach0, I am using that set up and have some up with some good photos.

Look into the Morris Company's LOW-cost slave flash units that screw into standard household-base lamps.

Products - The Morris Company

I'm not kidding either. These have been on the market nearly 50 years.

that's good to know. I saw another post with similar information a few weeks back, and made a mental note to read up on that. I'll have to actually do it this time. :) Too many topics to read up on them all in just a few weeks. This photography thing is a whole new world -- an exciting one, and fun to play in -- but definitely a new world. ;-)

Kevin

Yes.. continous lights still require proper exposure! :) Keith has a good point, there!

Continuous cool lighting (fluorescent / daylight) works great for still object photography in a studio setting - you can really take your time and play with modifiers, reflections, shades, fine-tune nice gradients and highlights. And thankfully they are much cheaper these days! I recommend buying photo-quality balanced lights from one source as every so often the generic ones have some minor yellowish tint that is hard to account for.

What are you planing to photograph? as the larger the object the more light you would need to arrange in your studio. I would be looking for at least three light sources and have a total ~1-2kW of equavalent incandescent power for smaller objects.. but $75 wouldn't be enough or on the edge, I think.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back