Need Suggestions: Photographically Cool Places in the US

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife and I are planning a getaway vacation that will take place in the next couple months. Ideally, we will vacate to 1 primary area that has lots of scenery, or unique photographic opportunities around it. Thoughts have been Vegas, some of the landscapes of Arizona, New Mexico, & Nevada. Lately we saw in a magazine a 9-states in 9-days plan. It would take us to some real cool places, but we'd ALWAYS be on the go (9 different hotels, and 7-10 driving hours per day). We're wanting to have a more relaxed time, so we can have a little free time at the resort, if ya know what I mean...

So, what's a good place, that could be totally across the US (from Missouri) that has several scenic or photographically neat places around it?

When is the best time of year to go there? Temp-wise and such? I would think we would drive, bike, or hike.

You can drive bike and hike.
It depends when it opens, lots of the campgrounds wernt even open when we went in June,(snow) they should be open now...Its best to go ASAP when they open but whenever...

Im in NAz so Im kinda partial to here. From here in Flagstaff we are in srtiking distance of the Grand Canyon, Oak Creek Canyon, the Painted desert, Monument Valley, Arches National Park to name a few.

The southern most parts of the grand canyon. Awesome!
Florida Keys are yummy too!

Oregon and Washington have some beautiful spots too. I would also say Maui, Kaui, or Lanai for sure.The Road to Hana in Maui is really picturesque:thumbup:

Also being a Floridian, I would also say Florida. heh

Ever considered South Dakota? Badlands National Park is awesome, and you've got Mount Rushmoore too.

Glacier National Park in Montana. Get there while they're still some glaciers left. I want to do that, but sadly I doubt I'll be able to.

Alaskan or Canadian wilderness in the summer.

I'm completely partial to Arizona-- the entire state is just amazing as far as places to photograph. However, if you're going in the next few months and choose AZ, be prepared for the heat. It is pretty humid right now (and in the months to come) with monsoon, and that can make it pretty miserable.

If you do come out this way, make sure you see more than the typical tourist spots. The less popular national parks and monuments have a lot to offer that people don't typically see.

Have you considered a cityscape? Photo ops 24/7 and the food is better.

Just a thought. :)

That's a great idea. What are some decent cities? I spent some time in New Orleans (just a day or two) and got a few pictures I like - here's one surprisingly off Bourbon Street. What are some unique cities, or unique areas inside cities?

I'm completely partial to Arizona-- the entire state is just amazing as far as places to photograph. However, if you're going in the next few months and choose AZ, be prepared for the heat. It is pretty humid right now (and in the months to come) with monsoon, and that can make it pretty miserable.

If you do come out this way, make sure you see more than the typical tourist spots. The less popular national parks and monuments have a lot to offer that people don't typically see.

That sounds good. Do you know of any website that has pointers to the non-touristy spots in AZ?

Take a look here for the national park/monuments. You'll still get the tourists at most of them, but take a look at some other than the obvious Grand Canyon, etc. I'm not saying Grand Canyon isn't worth visiting, but there is so much more out here. You might even consider a trip to try to hit every NPS unit in the northern end of the state, along with any state parks on the way. Stay away from the interstate as much as possible (if you have time, of course) and just the drive will impress you. Oh, and, uh...no road trip is complete without a winery or two.

I'd PM Abraxas, as he takes a lot of photos of the American southwest. He should be able to tell you some great spots to really get a feel for the desert out there.

Colorado Springs is a great city for seeing some great things (Royal Gorge, Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, etc.) It would be on my "to do" list

Also, if you're looking for something closer to home, Buffalo National park in Northwest Arkansas is GORGEOUS, and only about 2 hours away! :) But if you're looking for something interesting between here and the Rockies, you're out of luck. :)

Most reactions

Back