Need tips for evening marching band photos?

Tomboymama

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have not used an SLR for about 6 years, so I am a bit out of the loop. I finally am getting a D-SLR and want to take pictures of my daughter in her high school marching band this weekend. I will be learning a new camera (Nikon D40 with kit lenses 18-55 and 55-200) and trying to figure out how to shoot evening shots as well. The football field is lit at night, but I am sure not enough to get super shots. I know I will need a high ISO, but also don't want it too grainy. Do I need a tripod? I used to use a 75-200 lens on my film camera and rarely used a tripod, but from what I am reading, I most likely will have less success at that with the digital? Any tips for focal length, aperature/shutter speed to get some decent shots? I am not expecting greatness the first time out, but want to get off on the right foot and learn more from there. Any help appreciated. Thanks again. This seems like a great forum.

my suggestion would be to get as close to the sidelines as possible, so you can use your lens at a closer focal length with wide open aperture. Those lenses have a smaller aperture as you move the focal length out. The more open your aperture is the better success you will have. Other than that I would suggest a faster lens...but I'm not going ot go shopping for you...you have your own budget.

Most reactions

Back