Need to choose 3 from 6 for a competition

Which 3 of these images would you choose?

• Total voters

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,
wondered if I could enlist your help...I have a competition at my local club next week. It's a projected image comp, with the subject "Natural History". Basically - anything natural, no influences by man (so no farmed animals, zoo animals, etc).
I've done quite a lot of bug-shooting of late, and I have narrowed my choices down to 6. I can only enter 3!
Could you let me know which of these 6 images you would pick to enter, and if you feel like giving reasons, I'd appreciate that, too! :)
Image 1 - Spider Detail

Spider detail front by Bend The Light, on Flickr
Image 2 - Sleeping Ladybird

Sleeping Ladybug 2 by Bend The Light, on Flickr
Image 3 - Ladybird 5

ladybird 5 by Bend The Light, on Flickr
Image 4 - Bee on take-off

Bee on take off by Bend The Light, on Flickr
Image 5 - Houston, we have a problem!

Houston, we have a problem by Bend The Light, on Flickr
Image 6 - Bee on Flower in John's Garden

bee on flower in john's Garden by Bend The Light, on Flickr

Thanks in advance of your contributions.
Craig

This one's NOT easy!
No wonder you chose these six but cannot narrow them down to the allowed three...

At very first sight I'd have suggested 2, 4 and 5.

NOT 6 because I find it somehow overwhelming, although many might love the amount of detail and the fact that the bee is really large and filling the frame. But I feel that everything about this photo is a bit "too". Too bright, too sharp, too much yellow...

Not 3 (as compared to 2), as Photo 2 seems to be telling a bit more of a story than 3 does. Admitted, the ladybird is closer and to be seen in more detail in 3, as is the leaf (and it's brown edges), but that one's more "just a close-up of a ladybird", while 2 has this bit of a story to it, plus a twig going diagonally through the frame (and that bottom leaf adding a horizontal "bottom line").

Then I also liked the story that seems to be told in 5 ... but the centred composition has now given me second thoughts.
Photo 5 makes me wish you had taken a large step to your left and composed from there...

So I changed my mind and started thinking that maybe I'd choose 1, 2 and 4.
Photo 4 over 6 for the reasons against 6 I've mentioned before, but also because I like how in 4 the flower divides the frame diagonally from the background. And the detail in the bee is still there, if a little less startling.

And 1 instead of 5 because of its composition, light and detail, although I am not totally convinced.... but I tend to prefer that composition over the centred one (with the bug leaning in the "wrong" direction, too) of 5.

It is REALLY difficult to say!

This one's NOT easy!
No wonder you chose these six but cannot narrow them down to the allowed three...

At very first sight I'd have suggested 2, 4 and 5.

NOT 6 because I find it somehow overwhelming, although many might love the amount of detail and the fact that the bee is really large and filling the frame. But I feel that everything about this photo is a bit "too". Too bright, too sharp, too much yellow...

Not 3 (as compared to 2), as Photo 2 seems to be telling a bit more of a story than 3 does. Admitted, the ladybird is closer and to be seen in more detail in 3, as is the leaf (and it's brown edges), but that one's more "just a close-up of a ladybird", while 2 has this bit of a story to it, plus a twig going diagonally through the frame (and that bottom leaf adding a horizontal "bottom line").

Then I also liked the story that seems to be told in 5 ... but the centred composition has now given me second thoughts.
Photo 5 makes me wish you had taken a large step to your left and composed from there...

So I changed my mind and started thinking that maybe I'd choose 1, 2 and 4.
Photo 4 over 6 for the reasons against 6 I've mentioned before, but also because I like how in 4 the flower divides the frame diagonally from the background. And the detail in the bee is still there, if a little less startling.

And 1 instead of 5 because of its composition, light and detail, although I am not totally convinced.... but I tend to prefer that composition over the centred one (with the bug leaning in the "wrong" direction, too) of 5.

It is REALLY difficult to say!

Ha ha...thanks for such a detailed breakdown of your thoughts. I know it's tricky, and you are correct - that's why I struggled to get furher than this!

Let me know when you make your mind up, can you? Heh heh! :sexywink:

I don't find it too difficult to decide - 1,2 and 4 stand out to me.
3 is just a bit too normal, maybe because of the simple composition. 5 takes a few moments to see what's going on - it's amusing but I don't particularly like it. 6 seems to be very cropped in and for that reason has sharpness/poor resolution issues - but i may be wrong.
Good luck!

I don't find it too difficult to decide - 1,2 and 4 stand out to me.
3 is just a bit too normal, maybe because of the simple composition. 5 takes a few moments to see what's going on - it's amusing but I don't particularly like it. 6 seems to be very cropped in and for that reason has sharpness/poor resolution issues - but i may be wrong.
Good luck!

Thank you. 6 is NOT cropped (much, I remember) but is perhaps a little oversharpened.

Cheers

I voted 2, 3 and 4. They are easily your best based on composition, interesting subject, color, contrast, focus/sharpness,

1,2,5 because all are thematically whimsical...the spider hangin' on for dear life; the ladybug in the pod,and the earwig or whatever in the seed pod...all show insects in a sort of humorous manner. The lady bug on leaf and the two bee shots are rather boring, mundane, straight-forward; the other three each have a "hook".

^^^ I never thought of it in that sort of thematic way. Cool take :thumbup:

Thanks guys...The trouble I have is that I like them all for one reason or another. I agree with Derrel - the story makes those pictures, but then there's a story to the others, too, but only for me, I suppose. The amount of time spent trying to get a good Bee in Flight picture, the first BIG macro picture of the bee (the pollon one), and the lovely (to me) subdued colours of the ladybird on the leaf.

But i suppose, since I am showing to other people, the story should be more obvious.

Thanks for the input. :)

1,2,5 because all are thematically whimsical...the spider hangin' on for dear life; the ladybug in the pod,and the earwig or whatever in the seed pod...all show insects in a sort of humorous manner. The lady bug on leaf and the two bee shots are rather boring, mundane, straight-forward; the other three each have a "hook".

ooh that's made me rethink my choice now. I reckon a stronger strong theme might actually have a better chance.

ooh that's made me rethink my choice now. I reckon a stronger strong theme might actually have a better chance.

But I already put your choices into my "results" spreadsheet!!! This is getting harder to decide every new post I get! :lol:

As it stands, including results from the kids at school, and several other forums, 2, 3, and 5 are favourites, but not by much...it's all to play for!

Well, someone has to be different. I would say 1, 3, and 6. Three because it could be said that the ladybug is hanging on the the leaf for dear life and the eye and direction of the ladybug is obvious from the photo which is not the case in 2. Six because of the simpler less distracting background in terms of shapes although I might consider toning down the colours a little.

skieur

Thanks for your take on it, Skieur...

...just out of interest, would anyone venture an idea or two as to HOW to tone down the last one? I have had a go, but am never satisfied with the result. Ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

...just out of interest, would anyone venture an idea or two as to HOW to tone down the last one? I have had a go, but am never satisfied with the result. Ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers
I think you were right: it's over sharpened. Go back to the original image and sharpen it less. Or, use a mask and just paint on the sharpening effect on the bee's hairs (with a smaller radius) so you don't sharpen the noise in the background of the photo

Also, you should edit out the CA on its leg

Can you post the original? I'd like to have a go at it if I may.

Cheers
I think you were right: it's over sharpened. Go back to the original image and sharpen it less. Or, use a mask and just paint on the sharpening effect on the bee's hairs (with a smaller radius) so you don't sharpen the noise in the background of the photo

Also, you should edit out the CA on its leg

Can you post the original? I'd like to have a go at it if I may.

I could send you the RAW, but not sure how to...can it be done in private messages?

Most reactions

Back