Need to make a choice on a lens. Any of these good for what I'm looking for?

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a credit that I need to use. I have a Nikon D3100 camera as well as a the kit lens it came with, a 55-300mm 4.8/5.6 , a 50mm f/1.8 lens. I know primes are usually sharper but I prefer a zoom lens. I'm looking for a lens that works well in low light situations so I know a lens with a larger aperture capability is key. I want to be able to shoot pretty close up, given if I'm in a room or place where getting proper distance might not be possible. Also, I would love the ability to do large group shots. I often shoot moving children. Any of these lenses look good? If so, any pros/cons of them? Autofocus is a must and it must be able to sync with my cameras motor as I do not want to have to manually focus. I think this means either an AF-S or AF-D but some of these lenses do not specify either. (I'd have to contact seller) THANKS!

1. .Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 18 mm-200 mm F/3.6-5.6 AF-S DX VR IF ED Lens

2. Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 18 mm-105 mm F/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR DX G ED Lens

3. Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 24 mm - 120 mm F/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR G ED AF IF Lens

4. . Nikon Nikkor 18 mm-70 mm F/3.5-4.5 Lens

5. Nikon Nikkor 35 mm-70 mm F/3.3-4.5 AF Lens

6. Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 28 mm-80 mm F/3.3-5.6 AF G Aspherical Lens

7. .Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 28 mm-200 mm F/3.5-5.6 AF D IF Lens

8 . Nikon Zoom-Nikkor AF D IF 24 mm-85 mm F/2.8-4.0 Lens

9 .Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 28 mm-105 mm F/3.5-4.5 IF AF Lens (1257)

10. .Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 24 mm-50 mm F/3.3-4.5D AF D Lens

11 .Nikon Nikkor 35-105mm f3.5-4.5 Lens AF zoom auto focus

12. .NIKON NIKKOR AF 28-85mm ZOOM LENS NIKON 28-85mm MICRO LENS

13. .NIKON Nikkor AF 24-50mm f/3.3-4.5 MACRO FOCUSING ZOOM AUTO FOCUS LENS!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Any good candidates or other suggestions? I'm looking to buy used is possible, to lower price and anywhere, used, around $250 and under.

AMOMENT said:
Any good candidates or other suggestions? I'm looking to buy used is possible, to lower price and anywhere, used, around $250 and under.

Not in that price range.

The ones I listed above were all in the price range because they were used. (originally most of them were close to 500) If all of them suck, can you tell me some of your faves for short zoom lenses for low light and with capabilities to take a group shot.

AMOMENT said:
The ones I listed above were all in the price range because they were used. (originally most of them were close to 500) If all of them suck, can you tell me some of your faves for short zoom lenses for low light and with capabilities to take a group shot.

They are all variable aperture lenses and I don't think any will autofocus with your camera. If you are truly considering them, just use your current lens and a flash. Otherwise, can't go wrong with a tamron 17-50 2.8.

Glad you narrowed your choices down to 13 lenses.

None of these are good low-light lenses. For low-light you want fixed aperture as low as you can find/afford. The typical recommendation, in light of your other specs, will be the 24-70 f/2.8, but you won't get that for $250. Personally, spend the money on a flash and use your kit zoom.

which did you order?

I have a credit that I need to use. I have a Nikon D3100 camera ...

Autofocus is a must and it must be able to sync with my cameras motor as I do not want to have to manually focus. I think this means either an AF-S or AF-D but some of these lenses do not specify either. (I'd have to contact seller) THANKS!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-NIKKO...16482659?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cc5cb7363

Um, if you have a D3100, *nothing* will "sync with" your camera's motor, because your camera doesn't HAVE a motor. That's why you need the AF-S; you need a lens that has the motor in the lens in order to be able to use autofocus with your camera.

Sounds like you do a LOT of portrait/people photography. How much do you use your 55-300? Sounds to me like you should consider selling it and buying another prime and then maybe one of the zooms that has a range of something like 18-70, 28-80, something like that. You say you "prefer a zoom" but you don't really say WHY. Just because it's easier to leave one lens on your camera? Sometimes you have to decide whether you want QUALITY--in which case, you may have to get used to changing lenses--or Convenience, in which case, just pick whatever range zoom you want and go with it.

I'm NO expert on lenses (or any other photography topic) so I wouldn't even think of advising you on a specific lens. But I do think you should consider whether you just want it to be easy, in which case I suspect any of the lenses will be "good enough" or if you want to start upgrading the quality of your equipment.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
AMOMENT said:
Not in that price range.
+1, you want a 17-55 or 24-70, 2.8 lens for $200 not gonna happen, especially for the d3100 as you don't have the focusing motor. You can possibly bet a used older 2.8 tokina 28-70 near $400ish but you are not gonna get the perfect lens for that price. Get yourself a sb700 and bounce it with your 18-55, don't underestimate that lens it's more capable than most give it credit.

Okay, thanks! Actually scratch that budget. I'm selling my D3100 and upgrading to a NikonD7000. My range for a lens is $500 and under.

I hear the Tamron 17-55 2.8 has terrible bokeh and getting a good copy is tough as they are not consistant. Would you agree? What is your feeling about 3rd party lenses? The 28-70 would give me a wider DOF right?

Thanks!

omg, I'm sweating the 24-70mm f/2.8. lol

Don't mean to bust you'd bubble but upgrading glass is probably your best bet. I know it's fun spending money on a new camera, but a good fast piece of glass would make your 3100 take fantastic shots. If your just looking to spend money, I guess you can buy a camera. But my opinion is keep your camera and buy something with an aperture opening of 2.8. Prime lenses are great too, but you do have to zoom in and out with your feet which forces you to consider composition on every shot, which is a good thing. :)

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back