Need your help buying a P&S for a friend

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am far from an authority about P&S cameras so maybe you guys can help me help a friend with his next camera.

He is looking for a new camera to replace his old Canon P&S

This is the information I got from him
Price-up to 300$
Size-the smaller the better so big DSLR like superzoom is out of the question
Low light performance and image quality is very important too.

Thanks for the help

[h=2]Preview[/h]
For what it's worth, I found a Canon G15 new at B&H a couple of weeks ago for $299, including a 16gb Sandisk memory card! A super deal! I was looking for a 'bang around' camera rather than carrying my 5D3 and having moved from film to digital starting with a Canon G3 and then a G5, the G15 made alot of sense for me. It allows full manual control and can produce RAW output, which is what I use. While I certainly don't expect 5D3 with L glass results with the G15, I think it performs incredibly well. The JPGs produced directly by the camera are surprisingly gorgeous, so the camera obviously has some high-quality, well thought out, builtin JPG creation software. I've used the camera 3 times so far from nighttime shots outdoors in low light to inside several stores at a shopping mall and the results from Auto mode still astound me!

Unfortunately, the sale at B&H ended, so the price as of 5 minutes ago is $369 with no freebie memory. Perhaps somewhere else has it at the sale price today. As the G15 has already been superseded by the G16, I'd expect the price to come down again in the not too distant future.​

Preview

For what it's worth, I found a Canon G15 new at B&H a couple of weeks ago for $299, including a 16gb Sandisk memory card! A super deal! I was looking for a 'bang around' camera rather than carrying my 5D3 and having moved from film to digital starting with a Canon G3 and then a G5, the G15 made alot of sense for me. It allows full manual control and can produce RAW output, which is what I use. While I certainly don't expect 5D3 with L glass results with the G15, I think it performs incredibly well. The JPGs produced directly by the camera are surprisingly gorgeous, so the camera obviously has some high-quality, well thought out, builtin JPG creation software. I've used the camera 3 times so far from nighttime shots outdoors in low light to inside several stores at a shopping mall and the results from Auto mode still astound me!

Unfortunately, the sale at B&H ended, so the price as of 5 minutes ago is $369 with no freebie memory. Perhaps somewhere else has it at the sale price today. As the G15 has already been superseded by the G16, I'd expect the price to come down again in the not too distant future.​
Thank you for the reply, Yeah we missed that, the G15 is a great camera, I own it myself and love it as a second body.

Most reactions

Back