Need your opinions...

slickhare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i don't have any specific questions about these, just what you think of them. since every time i post in the general gallery i get no comments and am told to go here, here i am:

privateproperty7hv.jpg

wheelbarrow1eg.jpg

I'm not all that much of a fan of photographing signs like those in the first one, but to each his own. The shot is alright, if a bit cluttered. The sign is slightly difficult to read because of the reflection.

In the second one, I think the composition is spot on, but I find the depth of field a little confusing. The wheel and the bar, and the bottom of the wheelbarrow are all in focus, and the whole top-right corner is out of focus. It's cool but makes for an odd first glance, as my eyes try to go to the center of the frame, but the center is empty and out of focus haha. I give it a big thumbs up overall but I wouldn't quit my day job just yet ;)

MaxBloom said:
I give it a big thumbs up overall but I wouldn't quit my day job just yet ;)

too late :mrgreen:

thanks for you help! much appreciated!

i have no problems with the dof of the second one... although i think it could use some subtle level adjustments. nothing big though, just little tweaking to make it "pop out" a tad more. Overall, it's a :thumbup: for sure.

As to the first one, i quite like it, but i'm wondering if it is the original crop...? maybe it would look more balanced comp-wise if you cropped a little at the top and even less on the right so that the sign is more in the corner.
but i have to say i like the look of it... the bg really conveys the idea of the sign. :)

Alexandra said:
i have no problems with the dof of the second one... although i think it could use some subtle level adjustments. nothing big though, just little tweaking to make it "pop out" a tad more. Overall, it's a :thumbup: for sure.

As to the first one, i quite like it, but i'm wondering if it is the original crop...? maybe it would look more balanced comp-wise if you cropped a little at the top and even less on the right so that the sign is more in the corner.
but i have to say i like the look of it... the bg really conveys the idea of the sign. :)
the first one is actually untouched. but thank you for your comments and suggestions!

Well, since you came to the critique forum, surely you know you'll be asked things like:

Why did you take this image? What do YOU like about it? You must have some feelings about it, or you wouldn't be seeking opinions. How about sharing? :)

terri said:
Well, since you came to the critique forum, surely you know you'll be asked things like:

Why did you take this image? What do YOU like about it? You must have some feelings about it, or you wouldn't be seeking opinions. How about sharing? :)

well they're from the site where my new house is being built. really i've been in a slump lately and i was trying to find that "good" shot. the wheelbarrow reminded me of one that i used to play with as a kid. and as for the sign...i always seem to be taking pics of signs whenever i go out. dunno why.

slickhare said:
really i've been in a slump lately and i was trying to find that "good" shot.
'Good' shots are rarely found by accident - you have to look for them. But first you need to know what you are looking for, and why.
You've started to think of the 'why' with the wheelbarrow. It reminded you of one you played with when younger. Unfortunately we do not get that from the shot - it's just a view of a rusty wheelbarrow. You have 'youth', 'play' and 'nostalgia' to work with there so try exploring the wheelbarrow from those directions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back