Needing a little direction regarding birds in flight.

I was giving thought to pre-focus. I've had limited success with photographing flying insects with it. My general rule of thumb is to use the 70-200 whenever possible and only swith to the 50-500 if the situation dictates it. The 50-500 is a great lens but it can't match the 70-200's performance. Of coarse few things can. ;) I'm hesitant to use TCs. I bought a 1.7 TC II when I bought the 70-200 and while it does have it's uses, I tend to prefer the 50-500 over it when I need more reach.

well the 1.4 does work pretty well with the 70-200, and is the best accessory to have if you ever upgrade to an expensive telephoto prime. its on my 500mm f4 a lot. and the 1.7 does work pretty well with telephoto primes as well.

I'll be sure to give the 1.7 TC a try while im practicing.

Put seed out this morning, they haven't noticed it yet. I thought about getting a bird bath to draw them in as well. Come for a bath and stay for a meal. :)

Put seed out this morning, they haven't noticed it yet. I thought about getting a bird bath to draw them in as well. Come for a bath and stay for a meal. :)
Put out some little bitty beds and you could have your own little birdie bed and breakfast ;)

They will find it, no question of that. And they will provide some good opportunities for shots. Put your seed out beneath some overhanging branches and they will pause on the branches before swooping down to the food. Takeoffs and landings make for some interesting shots.

Put out some little bitty beds and you could have your own little birdie bed and breakfast ;)

They will find it, no question of that. And they will provide some good opportunities for shots. Put your seed out beneath some overhanging branches and they will pause on the branches before swooping down to the food. Takeoffs and landings make for some interesting shots.

Good idea about the branches, I'll give that a try as well.

Not a bad read, thanks for the link

Most reactions

New Topics

Back