Needing Help/Opinions for upgrading from the D40

Reading the posts above and having past experience with the D40x and D5000 I would definitely say to go for the D7000. I have it since it came out and it is a very good (quite amazing in some respects) camera.

The D700 is old technology and although it still is a very good camera I would not put money into it anymore.
The D800 may be too much for your needs, it will put some pressure on your post processing and maybe will even require an upgrade for the computer you are using. It is also too expensive for you, as you said so don't bother with it.

I am pretty sure that the D7000 will give you everything you need, all of your lenses should work perfectly in this body, the image quality and burst speed is just incomparable with D40. It is new, will be up to date for the next 2-3 years for sure. It will also allow you to use commander mode for flashes, which D40 cannot do and many other things very useful for many types of photography.
I don't think there is anything else to chose from, to be honest - maybe D5100 if you want to save some money, although I would no recommend it in this case.

The Nikon D700, launched in July of 2008, is still current technology. The D7000 was launched just over 2 years later in September of 2010. So the D7000 isn't all that new any more, and like the D700 will be a very viable camera for years to come.

Things that make the entry-level D7000 less than desirable compared to the prosumer and up line of Nikon's:
No PC cable port
No 10-pin connector
Can only do 3 AEB frames.

I am pretty sure that the D7000 will give you everything you need, all of your lenses should work perfectly in this body, the image quality and burst speed is just incomparable with D40. It is new, will be up to date for the next 2-3 years for sure. It will also allow you to use commander mode for flashes, which D40 cannot do and many other things very useful for many types of photography. I don't think there is anything else to chose from, to be honest - maybe D5100 if you want to save some money, although I would no recommend it in this case.

Thank you! I really appreciate that.

No PC cable port, No 10-pin connector, Can only do 3 AEB frames.

I never connect my camera, or any camera to the PC, I take the card out and put it into a card reader. Not concerned at this point in my career with pocketwizards and mostly shoot with continuous, or little to no light, and 3 is better than none with the D40. So those concerns aren't a winning factor, but thanks for telling me about them!

You need a new body. Nikon D40 is a very weak camera and also an old sensor. Get out of that class of cameras anyway. I mean buy at least a D5100 instead of a D3100.

You need a new body. Nikon D40 is a very weak camera and also an old sensor. Get out of that class of cameras anyway. I mean buy at least a D5100 instead of a D3100.

When I started looking, I looked into those two but I quickly became aware of how much I don't like Flip Screens on DSLR's, (I know the D3100 doesn't have one) but neither of these peaked my interest. The only camera I have put any real consideration in was the D7000, but understanding and knowing what the benefits of the D700 have, it's made my choice a little harder. And it doesn't help knowing there is a D300s, and D90 (Are these still worth looking into?). Which are now both "obsolete," even though they are amazing cameras. But the price of what I would need to get a D700 is almost five times more than what I would get with the D7000, when that camera offers me more, even if it is a DX. So It's kind of been a headache, and the help from this forum has been invaluable, I must say.

When considering fx vs dx, the old argument was low light vs. telephoto performance. However, these days dx cameras are very good in low light, not quite as good as fx, but good enough to make it far less of an issue.

Today I would rate dof enhancement as the top reason to opt for fx. The 1+ stop reduction in dof is now the most attractive aspect of fx.

I shot with a D300s for a while, and now I have a D800. I loved the D300s, you would too. The D90 has the same sensor as the D300s, so you'd love that too. I had one before my D300s. Whatever you get, I would also upgrade the lenses ASAP. If for no other reason, to make your life MUCH easier.

Is there someplace I can see some of your photos?

Mark

I shot with a D300s for a while, and now I have a D800. I loved the D300s, you would too. The D90 has the same sensor as the D300s, so you'd love that too. I had one before my D300s. Whatever you get, I would also upgrade the lenses ASAP. If for no other reason, to make your life MUCH easier.

Is there someplace I can see some of your photos?

Mark

Hey Mark, can see some of my photos at Pure Photo, (And there is a link to my main site on pure photo, also the main site still has some work to be done, since the gallery only goes up to 2009.) Thanks for the interest!

Most reactions

Back