Needing some help for new business

wondersoftheworld

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey....

I am just starting out my own photography business. At the moment my passion has been landscape photography. I have just been offered my first job to shoot a child. This will be out doors and I am wondering what kind of contracts legal documents I will require also what do I do about liability insurance?

thanks a bunch

wonders of the world photography

Cassandra Evans

Have you looked through the business forum for other discussions?
have you called the local Secretary of State do get tax and business advice?
have you called your insurance guy to see what liability insurance you might need?

There are other types of liability needed than just injury? Some clients will sue if you don't deliver good images! I would look into that too! And don't forget to insure your two bodies and your lenses, and other equipment! (Hopefully you have two bodies right? In case one dies or gets dropped before the shoot starts?)

"I am just starting out my own photography business. At the moment my passion has been landscape photography."

aka, I'm not really a business, but I like taking pictures of trees.

Do you really think you can take photos as a 'business' with no experience?

The federal, state, local business legal and insurance requirements in Tasmania will be different than that required here in the USA.

Look to your local, state, federal governments and other local photographers for the information you need.

Having a well researched written business and marketing plan is recommend before starting a business, of any kind.

If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

Hi Cassandra, and welcome to another Tasmanian :)

There are multiple types of insurance you need:
- gear
- public liability, effectively if you cause an accident, demolish buildings (accidentally!)
- professional indemnity, for giving advice, direction, etc, and partial cover for business wrongdoings
- workers compensation, if you injure yourself

You should also have a registered business name. And talk to the ATO as to whether you need an ABN or to cellect GST.

As to your original question, there are many examples of threads in forums, and basic photography contracts around.

PM me if you like...

Do you really think you can take photos as a 'business' with no experience?
11.jpg
People do... every day. Unfortunately.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back