NEF Conversion - which software?

OmlessWanderer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now that I have a fancy Nikon digital I'm starting to learn about all the <sarcasm>wonderful</sarcasm> idiosyncrasies associated with NEF files and their conversion. I've done a search or two and it seems that most of the information on the web regarding the relevant software is a year old or older.

I'm a windows user so RAW Developer is not an option for me.

Does Capture ONE process NEF files?

Is Nikon Capture NX any better then Photoshop or Lightroom? I've noticed that Lightroom can render detail much better then the Nikon PP photoshop plugin that came with my camera but the colors are not as true with the default settings. I hear the color issue can be solved with an ACR profile but I have yet to search for how to do this for the D200...

Are there any other good options available?

Capture One, Lightroom etc. would be good options.

Software like Lightroom is not only designed to convert RAW files, but for workflow...which makes it easy to work with a large number of files.

Nikon RAW workflow is just like any other workflow. I've done workflows on canon system as well as my Nikon and it works exactly the same, so the idiosyncrasies of each are just BS IMO when you use Lightroom or Aperture.

I use the Lightroom personally, it's fast, clean, and doesn't get in the way of me getting my work done or being creative.

I suggest Raw Therapee - Freeware.
You can find it on my site >> downloads section
http://www.ultranano.net/downloads.html
or visit Raw Therapee website searching on Google.
The last version is optimized for SSE processor instruction and
it's fast on CR2 and NEF conversion.

Have a nice day!

UltraNano

i use the software that comes with the camera, can be downloaded from their website.

i find it does everything i want to do with about 2 clicks of the mouse.

Most reactions

Back