Negative Organization

Rapala46

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
rapala46.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How does everyone here organize their negatives and prints. I am looking for a better way than what i do no now, which is leave them in the envelopes in a shoebox under my bed. My friends take all of their favorite photos and put them into albums, but my problem with that is that you are separating (sp?) the prints from the negatives, which i don't think is a good idea.

So....what do you do to display your photos but still keep them with their negs?

I don't even get prints. For 35mm, I get my film (when shooting print film) processed and get the CD at my local Eckerds. They give you a thumbnail sheet with it which I tape to the outside of the envelope and I use those plastic cabinets from walmart to store them in. Fits perfect. If there are certain ones I want prints from, I take the negative to my local pro lab or scan, edit and FTP them to the lab. I use the CD for viewing ease on the computer and for images to post here and else where I frequent on the net.

I use something like these:

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.c...R=30000:130000:132000:132100&IID=POLYCHRONNEG

PolyChronNeg_xlgv.jpg

With an index print taped to it. Put it in a binder and they are protected and easily found when I need them.

I used to tape contact sheets on the front of manilla envelopes and then put each strip of negs in its own small plastic bag inside. Just recently I bought some plastic neg holder than I will put in a binder, that's probably the better way to go

Plastic negative holders, like the one Dweller showed, and then the prints go in similar plastic holders - you can get them in any size you need. All the negs go in one album, referenced by date and a serial number - 2005/1, 2005/2 and so on, and then I label the prints with a description and the serial number of the film they came from.

Took me a few day's work to organise 20 years worth, and I've got a bit of a backlog now too...

Thomsk

I use the same thing, have pages for both 35mm and 120. I keep them in a photographic "workbox" type binder that snaps shut, to help keep out dust. I just label the top with the year and make some note about what the negatives contain. If there's an important negative in there, I'll make special note of that too, so I can find it easily when I need to make a print.

I gave up the idea of keeping my negatives with my prints long ago. :lol: Since I shoot virtually all B&W, I only print what I like.

The same kind of sheet/binder thing works well for slides, too. :)

Most reactions

Back