Negative Scanner recommendation

I use an Epson too, in my case Epson Perfection 4490 Photo Scanner. Does it's job very well and of course the big benefit of a flat bed style is you get 2 in 1. Quality of resultant images is superb and I don't find the scan time to be slow ( it's slow when doing at max rez but then I get images of monster size - from memory a 120 format, 6x6 negative at max is something like 10mx10m ( yes meteres ) at 300dpi... ust a little insane.

...when doing at max rez ... 120 format, 6x6 negative at max is something like 10mx10m ( yes meteres ) at 300dpi... ust a little insane.

Max res on today's better flatbeds (EPSON v700, & 750) is way too much when scanning medium or larger format film for anything other than wall sized murals or when you expect a massive crop. Even with 35mm, I've never had the need to use full rez (9600ppi on my v700, an optical resolution and not interpolated, btw). Most 35mm dedicated scanners work at around 3000-4000ppi which is a reasonable resolution with a flatbed. For most use, especially when dealing with old films from low end snapshot cameras, a resolution around 1200ppi for 120 negs is all you need.

Max res on today's better flatbeds (EPSON v700, & 750) is way too much when scanning medium or larger format film for anything other than wall sized murals or when you expect a massive crop. Even with 35mm, I've never had the need to use full rez (9600ppi on my v700, an optical resolution and not interpolated, btw). Most 35mm dedicated scanners work at around 3000-4000ppi which is a reasonable resolution with a flatbed. For most use, especially when dealing with old films from low end snapshot cameras, a resolution around 1200ppi for 120 negs is all you need.

Indeed, I was just saying that at max rez it was slow.. but understandably so.. at more sensible resolutions I don't find it slow.

Most reactions

Back