negative scanners

Pitbullgrin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have several thousand negatives and i want to scan them so i can organize my images and see what i have again. Any ideas on what scanner to get? About 95% are 35mm some are medium format and few are slides. Price range is flex. but not much more than $500, give of take a lil. Also what kind of software do i need as well. I want to print some of them so i guess i want most of my money for the scanner to go to good rendering! Help anyone?

Have it done professionally, unless your retired and have a lot of spare time on your hands. ;)

If you insist on doing it yourself, an epson v700 will scan 24 35mm negatives at a time and produces quality results. STAY AWAY from dedicated 35mm scanners in your price range as you will have to hand feed each photo one by one.

Have it done professionally, unless your retired and have a lot of spare time on your hands. ;)

If you insist on doing it yourself, an epson v700 will scan 24 35mm negatives at a time and produces quality results. STAY AWAY from dedicated 35mm scanners in your price range as you will have to hand feed each photo one by one.
Most dedicated film scanners do up to 6 negatives at once and up to 4 slides at once. And you can get a reasonably good one for about $500. I recommend staying away from flatbed scanners that do negatives. Some of Film Scanners do up to 7200 DPI now. Check out B&H for film scanners.

Epson v500 or for the extra money v700. scanners 35mm and 120 and not too pricey.
Don't bother with the v750. The only difference with the 700 and 750 is you can wet scan with the 750 but it doesn't seem like you'll be doing that.
Scans both negs and slides

Most dedicated film scanners do up to 6 negatives at once and up to 4 slides at once. And you can get a reasonably good one for about $500. I recommend staying away from flatbed scanners that do negatives. Some of Film Scanners do up to 7200 DPI now. Check out B&H for film scanners.

Most dedicated film scanners have holders that HOLD up to 6 frames at once, but very few of them will feed them into the scanner for you--if you can name a model for less then $500 that does that I'd appreciate it.

I have both a 7200dpi dedicated 35mm scanner, and a flatbed v700 and I would recommend the flatbed over the dedicated film scanner. With my dedicated film scanner it would take me over an hour of baby sitting to scan 24 negatives, with my flatbed it takes me less then 5 minutes.

My Minolta Duoscan that I paid $75 for feeds the carrier (6 negs / 4 slides) into the machine, you don't have to touch it once it's started until that set of negs is scanned.

Dave

The OP said some of the stuff he needs to scan are in medium format. Do they have dedicated film scanners that can do MF for only $500?

Most reactions

Back