Neighbour's cat

Lyanna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all....first of all, nice forum!
Well, this would be my first pic I ever submitted to a forum, so be gentle, kay? I took this pic the other day, and while the composition probably is a little off key, I was quite impressed with what my camera could do :)

Tis taken with a Canon Powershot G5, and it's huge! (so I sized it down for display here). What do you guys think of it?

Joopsmall.jpg

Hi, and welcome! Pop over to the Welcome/Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself, if you haven't already done so.... :D

This is a very nicely exposed image. I'd agree that all it needs is a little tighter crop, losing that lower RT corner. Well done! :cat:

Welcome to the forum!

Great photo, I love cats. I agree about losing the thing in the right corner, but I'd hesitate to crop it from the bottom, as you would lose part of the cat and cut off the tips of those whiskers, I'd say crop from the right or just clone out that thing in Photoshop if you can.

Great work! Look forward to seeing more :)

This is excellent composition. I would clone out the distraction in the lower right corner. I would never consider cropping it because cropping would change the sweetspot. The axis that is the two eyes are currently in the sweetspot and that must not be altered.

The texture was captured very well. Exposure was righteous. Good shot.

I'm curious about the background. It doesn't appear to be post manufactored 'cause the cats texture is too realistic, but it has consistant light coverage. Was it a backdrop and if so, what was your lighting technique? It doesn't matter to me if it was manufactored 'cause the end always justifies the means IMHO.

Oh, yea, I almost forgot to mention that, I adore the photo :thumbsup:

Welcome Lyanna and that's a great first post!

canonrebel said:
The axis that is the two eyes are currently in the sweetspot and that must not be altered.
I agree. Though I think that could possibly be exploiting a little more by a small crop, but not for the sake of eliminating the grey bar or whatever it is.

I also wonder about the blue background. Did you use a polorizing filter or something? My concern is that it's a little bright and pulls my attention from the cat.

My biggest concern, however, is that the cat is looking off to the lower right and I almost can't help but to follow the gaze. If there is something...anything.. on the wall in the direction of the gaze, then the viewer will most likely focus attention on it rather than your picture.

That would be deadly in a gallery.

Daniel

Welcome to the forum....and thats a beautiful cat!!!

welcome!!!
i'm begining to think i may have just gotten the g5 and not the 300d rebel
nice pic and that's an amazing blue sky in the shot

no editing eh?
nice work

Wow, thanks for the quick replies and the warm welcome :)
I will post a little about myself on the Welcome forum as soon as I finish off this reply.

As for how the shot was taken, and about the blue sky....
I didn't do anything to the shot in Photoshop, cause I wasn't sure whether that was allowed on these forums. So, this is as is, so to speak. The cat in question was sitting on my kitchen roof, staring at my own cat who's indeed, off to the right, so that is where his gaze leads. The little bar on the right is part of a protruding piece of roof.

The sky was just that bright blue that day...no clouds or anything. I had the camera on auto, didn't do anything to the exposure or lighting cause this guy usually moves so fast that I can't even get a clear shot of him, let alone fidget around with manual settings :D

Under the circumstances: WOW!

I have by now taken many photos of my own cat, but none of them have ever had the dramatics that this one has - lucky you to be finding the neighbour's cat sitting on the roof! And on a day like that one, with no cloud in the sky. SUPER.

If you can now obtain a photo of your cat looking up... nothing can go wrong in that exhibition of yours (;)), you just place them so they look at each other...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back