never expected this behavior from a "professional"

I'd have a hard time keeping my mouth shut too. I'd play dumb but ask questions that made him eithe rlie through his teeth and get caught or made him fess up. Like "Um, excuse me sir, but how come I can set my aperture to f2.8 on my worthless little point and shoot? And how come my lens I bought for my dslr says f1.8?" or "You said ISO is the most important setting. What's the best ISO to use all the time? Should I ever adjust it?"

This is EXACTLY what I would do as well!!!

Also, I would write a professional.. yet slightly opinionated letter to the company he is with.
I wouldnt say that I'm a photographer but I would say that his presentation upset some people who only had 'useless little point and shoots'.

This dudes a goober!

when he started dissing your stuff, that's the part where I would have went up...asked him to step aside...and talked him back to the ground. (I actually would have). I find it better to stand up for yourself.

Plus, all that false information spewing out...I wouldn't want everyone to believe it. It's like when I walk into a computer/electronics store...I always correct the salespeople selling stuff by lying...it's not right...and the customer deserves to know the truth.

You should have held up an H3D in return. That would shut him up.

You should have held up an H3D in return. That would shut him up.

That would have been hillarious.

"Damnit! I just spent $30K on this POS."

I hate it when professionals think that younger people can't be good photographers. I recently won a competition at the Dallas Zoo that had pro, amateur, youth, and child classes and I entered the youth because I'm 18. People questioned that I took the winning image and then I proceeded to shut them down with why my Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI-S had been the best choice for the shot etc.

In high school I was always at odds with my photography teacher after I realized I knew more than she did.

To the OP: you made the right choice to not confront him in front of the group, but I probably would have gone up and talked to him afterwards.

Seems to me like there's a bit a gap forming amongst photogs in general.

On one side, the old-school photogs that fear digital and the fact that quality camera prices are low enough to be affordable for non-pros.

On the other, the people that are generating great photos because of the trial & error that digital affords and the use of online learning tools.

In the end... who gives a f? Since when is art a competition or about who has the most expensive toys?

"I can't wait to see a day where I open up a yearbook and don't see a single photo from my company, because that tells me that you as people are learning and developing to take your own pictures."

The guy sounds like an ass (if what you typed is exactly what he said) -- however, I would guess the guy as you quoted above means is, not to see any of the sports, events shots from his company in the yearbook.

Many of these contracted companies are paid for the class photos and supply the yearbook extra shots (sports, plays, dances, etc.) for free to the school (per the contract). So, the less they have to shoot other events, the better for them.

What a looser, I remember my year book was totally done by students and that was the beauty of it, but I guess some schools prefer this kind of self called "professionals" services. I didn't know that buying a 1D Mk II make anyone a professional photographer, how e-z just save $6K or 7K and wallah.

hmm, looks like there was no teacher doing his job properly. Which means to stop him.

education should never be mixed with advertising, and teachers should be trained to see this threat and fight it.

I just think you're lucky your school has a photo dept.

My high school didn't have one.

Seems to me like there's a bit a gap forming amongst photogs in general.

On one side, the old-school photogs that fear digital and the fact that quality camera prices are low enough to be affordable for non-pros.

On the other, the people that are generating great photos because of the trial & error that digital affords and the use of online learning tools.

In the end... who gives a f? Since when is art a competition or about who has the most expensive toys?

Exactly. Photography is an art, and, in my mind, art is a means of expression of a personal or societal ideal. I would always have to argue with my teacher about this kind of thing. How can someone say that someone's work is not art when it is a means of his/her expression?

when he started dissing your stuff, that's the part where I would have went up...asked him to step aside...and talked him back to the ground. (I actually would have). I find it better to stand up for yourself.

Plus, all that false information spewing out...I wouldn't want everyone to believe it. It's like when I walk into a computer/electronics store...I always correct the salespeople selling stuff by lying...it's not right...and the customer deserves to know the truth.

i agree with that...100%!

Holy sheep, just hearing about this grinds my gears. I simply wouldn't have been able to stand by and watch this blathering idiot preach his snobbery. He deserves a smack in the head.

And I'd love to see him try to take a nice photo with the "crappy gear" that the rest of us amateurs use. It may be great to have all that nice stuff, but if someone is talking like that, I'm betting thats all they've ever known. You've gotta start somewhere... and what happens if your mark II is in the shop and your 400mm 2.8L IS needs recalibration?

Well, then I guess you're out of luck and out of work, unless you can recall the earlier days of shooting night games with a lesser setup (Assuming this guy would even bother having backup).

That guy really did suck balls..

But is it just me but back when I was in hs a few years ago we took all our pics for the yearbook ourself (besides the class photo and the one you took home for the frige and family) sports and everything.

We also rank in the top 10 year books in the us EVERY year...

But idk... Maybe a few years changes things...

Why does everyone have to hire people to do that kinda thing for them? It's more personal when the students take them anyway..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back