New 430EX II User Question

RegRoy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I took the plunge and graduated from built in flash on my Rebel XTi to the 430 EX II. I've been playing around with the flash but I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly or to it's potential. I've read the manual but with little success, and I've experimented playing with shots and the direction of the flash head. I see a marked improvement from on-camera flash, but I'm feeling a bit lost.

1) Can someone recommend a book or an online resource that will say, "Here's what you can do with the 430 EX II and WHEN you'd use it".

2) Whenever I use the flash a red light comes out of the front of it -- it's that normal for this flash? Can/should that be turned off?

Thanks!

1) Strobist is a good starting point: Strobist: Lighting 101

2) The red light is the AF assist beam and the flash auto sends that out whenever you are focusing in a lowlight condition. You can disable it and details should be in the user manual for the flash itself.

2) The red light is the AF assist beam and the flash auto sends that out whenever you are focusing in a lowlight condition. You can disable it and details should be in the user manual for the flash itself.

Thanks. Is there a disadvantage to turning off this light?

If you are working in poor lighting the red beam helps the AF get a lock onto the subject; if you disable it you'll just be relying on the AF in the camera as normal to get a lock on - so you can disable it without any additional problems rising up save for the general problems of lowlight AF shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back