New 5Ds and 5Ds R

The 51MP 5DS ($3,699) & 5DS R ($3,899) are high end studio and landscape cameras. Think medium format applications where large or finely detailed prints are required.

These cameras do not replace the 5D Mark III per Canon USA video.

[video=youtube;Hl6AKRadEsw]

These cameras are positioned against the high megapixel full frame bodies like the 36MP Nikon D810 ($2,997) & 36MP Sony A7R ($2,098).

Canon USA mentioned medium format uses for the 5DS & 5DS R so here are the entry level medium format bodies by year.

2010 $4,500 40MP Pentax 645D
2014 $8,497 51.4MP Pentax 645Z

Now, why the drastic price difference? This all goes down to sensor size as shown below.

The Sony, Nikon and Canon uses a full frame sensor with a dimension of 36x24mm while the Pentax and other higher end medium format cameras tend to use a sensor with a dimension of 44x33mm or larger.

sensor-sizes-6X6-bounds.png

6X6 medium format film is included for comparison.

The 51MP 5DS ($3,699) & 5DS R ($3,899) are high end studio and landscape cameras. Think medium format applications where large or finely detailed prints are required.

These cameras are positioned against the high megapixel full frame bodies like the 36MP Nikon D810 ($2,997) & 36MP Sony A7R ($2,098).

Canon USA mentioned medium format uses for the 5DS & 5DS R so here are the entry level medium format bodies by year.

Now, why the drastic price difference? This all goes down to sensor size as shown below.

The Sony, Nikon and Canon uses a full frame sensor with a dimension of 36x24mm while the Pentax and other higher end medium format cameras tend to use a sensor with a dimension of 44x33mm or larger.

These bodies interest me, and while I don't intend on buying either of them (Nikon DSLR guy, through and through, though I'll never say I don't like Canon), I can't help but wonder what their downfalls will be. If we learned anything from the D800 series, memory and computing is going to be the least of the worries associated with this 50mp behemoths. 36mp is already showing any flaw in technique with the added irritation of magnifying any flaws in lenses. I wonder how the new 5D's will cope to Canon's current offerings. The D800's demand the best glass available. The new 5D's aren't going to be any different, and rather, they're going to demand even more, I think.

Just my thoughts. I'll be reading everything I can about these two.

Canon said the same about the 5D2 when they release the 5D3. To compete with the 645Z which they are saying they are trying to do, they need to match the 645Z's dynamic Range. I have the 645Z. The 645Z hits the 5D3 for six on DR. So does my D800E. I haven't used my 5D3 for years. Got sick of the low ISO noise banding, and relatively low DR.

If it wants to compete with medium format then it needs to match the 645Z. The 645Z has well over 14 stops of DR. I don't even need to think of bracketing shots in 99% of situations as I know I can expose to the left or right and still get a great file at the end of it.

Hi! I noticed my post are shortened. Is this normal?

Yes. There is only so much you can say about 50 mp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back