New 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6

TSLevin95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is the new 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 a good lens to use with a Nikon D600 for high school sports photography? Or should I use a 70-200mm f/2.8 with (or without) a 1.7x teleconverter? And what setting should I use? Most shooting conditions will be at night under the lights, which aren't the best or the worst.

I'm looking to get very professional looking shots.

Thanks!

You already made a thread about this.

I just want a comparison of the two lenses in this thread.

How much photographic experience do you have?

I'm new to photographing shorting events, but have had a DSLR for about a year now. So not much experience.

If you are going to be relatively close, I would stick with the 70-200mm 2.8. In order to take professional looking shots, you are going to need to practice. It will probably take you 2 to 3 weeks before you start seeing some really good looking shots.

And what setting should I use?

I said this in the other thread.
What I need help with is what settings and equipment should I use to get the best quality, best sharpness, and overall best professional-like pictures with my current setup.

This sentence is going to get you verbally abused here. :lol:

It's also impossible to answer. There are thousands if not millions of combinations of scenarios to not give you an exact answer.

Instead, why not link a few examples of what you are trying to achieve, so we can help you understand what you need to know when going to shoot.

Lens is too slow for night football. 70-200 for that. Settings vary.

He owns the 70-200mm 2.8 already. He said so in one of his 3 threads lol.

Most reactions

Back