New Addition...

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...to our pet family!

We have applied for raising an endangered Desert Tortoise several months ago and recently we were approved and got one little tortoise (name is Onyx or Little O), two years of age. It has arrived a few days ago and since I'm not home (my wife told me all about it), I can hardly wait to return and see the little critter.

Since they live between 80 and 100 years of age, we had to put it in our will. Seriously! That is a requirement. It sort of shocked me at first but it makes sense.

We'll have to keep it (don't know the gender yet) indoors for the next two years and then I'll have to build a small area for it, to burrow in.

I'll take some pics when back home and I'm sure the subject won't move too fast! :lol:

Congrats on the new addition! They are such cool critters. I had one that we found on the street in San Diego when I was a little girl. We had it for 10 years before we moved and found a new home for it. Can't wait to see photos of it.

Thats neat you go a desert tortoise, do they require you to breed him? In FL we have gopher tortoises which are also endangered, but i'm not sure if they have programs that let a person raise one.

Great! (I'll be honest, I had no idea what a tortoise was, but looked it up). Looking forward to the pan shots...:p
So, how big do they get?

pascal

I'll try to answer to all questions...

Gopher tortoises and Desert tortoises are very close. I think there are 4 or 5 varieties that are very closely related. There are certain requirements that need to be met (here in AZ) in order to be awarded a Desert Tortoise. First of all, one needs to have a backyard and also be willing to modify it, at least in part, in order to accommodate the tortoise. Arizona has a good program for raising Desert Tortoises, their numbers were down like 90% (in the urban area) due to over expansion and killing their habitat.

As for their size, at two years of age, the Little O is about 2 to 2.5 inches long. When they mature they can go up to 15 inches long, so it's not a huge tortoise.

And here is a snapshot taken by my wife:

Attachments

• $LittleO.jpg
    $LittleO.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 116
aww, its cute!

awww......he's beautiful! What a cool and fun addition. :thumbup:

I hope you are able to determine the sex of the little bugger, so no one has to keep referring to him as "it". Any kind of exotic-animal vets that could help you?

Hey, how cool is that? Good on ya for taking in the little hardshelled long-lived one.
turtle4.gif

awww......he's beautiful! What a cool and fun addition. :thumbup:

I hope you are able to determine the sex of the little bugger, so no one has to keep referring to him as "it". Any kind of exotic-animal vets that could help you?

Well, the females have a flat or slightly convex lower carapace and the males have a concave one. But that develops later in life. Their sexual maturity reaches at around 15-20 years of age.

Congrats. Hope all goes well for you, yours and Little O.

Most reactions

Back