New "almost full" moon, taken tonight + lit up courtyard. C&C please.

Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, here are 2 shots, 1 of the moon and 1 of a lit up courtyard. C&C please.
1: moon shot Lens:EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
Shot at 250 mm Exposure:Manual exposure, 1/60 sec, f/8, ISO 100
Moon18Jan11.jpg

And:
Lens:EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Shot at 18 mm Exposure:Manual exposure, 6 sec, f/10, ISO 100
KatzrinCourtyard.jpg

Very nice, both of them. I like the symmetry in #2. For some reason it feels ever so slightly tilted to the right though; I can't put my finger on why because the building looks level at the top. Might be because the tiles in front of you aren't quite parallel to the building - two steps to the left would have fixed that I think. :)

Very nice, both of them. I like the symmetry in #2. For some reason it feels ever so slightly tilted to the right though; I can't put my finger on why because the building looks level at the top. Might be because the tiles in front of you aren't quite parallel to the building - two steps to the left would have fixed that I think. :)
Thanks, and you are absolutely correct. I of course only noticed this AFTER I had gotten home (where it was nice and warm). But, as you said, just 1 or 2 tiles to the left, would have made all the difference.

The moon is really sharp, considering the lens (I did it with the same setup, but result is less defined: although I liked it when I took the picture, now you demonstrated I have to shoot again :) ).

Love the second one, awesome :thumbup:

On the moon shot you used 1/60 of a second at 100 ISO?

beautiful moon

I would be interested in seeing the 2nd photo with some cropped off the bottom making it wide.

Did you turn stabilization off for the 2nd one? That's important to do when taking long exposures on a tripod. Otherwise the IS can end up creating its own blur.

The moon is really sharp, considering the lens (I did it with the same setup, but result is less defined: although I liked it when I took the picture, now you demonstrated I have to shoot again :) ).
Thanks. I took around 20 shots, and this was the sharpest ( I also did some sharpening on PS5). It's REALLY difficult to manually focus such a large lens, and I found that my manual focus was sharper than AF.

Love the second one, awesome :thumbup:

On the moon shot you used 1/60 of a second at 100 ISO?
Thanks. I love that shot also. I had to do a slight amount of lens distortion correction as the outside edges of the building were curving in.
And yes, and at f/8.

beautiful moon

I would be interested in seeing the 2nd photo with some cropped off the bottom making it wide.
Sounds like a cool idea, I'll see what it looks like.

Did you turn stabilization off for the 2nd one? That's important to do when taking long exposures on a tripod. Otherwise the IS can end up creating its own blur.
The truth is, I took stabilization off for the moon shot, but forgot to do it for the 2nd. Is it evident? Remember the shutter was open for 6 seconds, usually any blur that the IS causes wouldn't show on such long exposures (I think).

Wow - your moon shot is lovely! I tried last week but couldn't get anything half as good. I'm definitely going to try again! Well done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back