New and could use some suggestions

lilac4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm new to photography and this site, I hope I'm posting this in the right area. I asked for a canon rebel for xmas, but my mom bought me the canon sx40 and thought I could return it if I didn't want it. Well, since it's past best buys return time frame I can't. I'm really bummed about it and my husband thinks I'm being ridiculous for still wanting a DSLR camera since I "just got a really nice camera." So, if I still buy one, my budget is really low. That's the situation, lol, my questions are:
Does anyone know the best place to sell the sx40 and get most of my money back since it's practically new (I did take some pics with it)?
And more importantly, does anyone have any suggestions on where/what type of DSLR camera I could get cheap and used that I could learn with?

I'm very new to all this. At this point I'm mainly interested in taking pictures of my adorable children. I don't like that I can't get as shallow dof as I'd like with the sx40. I'd really appreciate any suggestions!!!

TPF has a Buy & Sell forum, though truthfully, since you're new here there won't be a whole lot of trust.

Maybe a local camera store will take it in partial payment for a DSLR. Maybe there's a nearby photo club where someone might be interested.

Try Craigslist and Ebay.

Welcome to the forum.

Double check with Best Buy...if you can convince them that you only received the camera last week, maybe they will return it for you...especially if you just ask for store credit toward a DSLR camera etc.

Any DSLR would likely be a good option for you. But one thing to consider is that the 'kit' lens that usually comes with them, may not get the results you're looking for either.

If you're open to buying used, there are really great cameras to be had at great prices, they are just a little old...but they should still work just fine.

Does anyone know the best place to sell the sx40 and get most of my money back since it's practically new (I did take some pics with it)?
Canon's warranty, like all camera maker warranties, is only in effect for the original owner.

Selling a like new but used camera usually entails asking for at least a 20% less than the new price because the second owner doesn't get any warranty in the deal.

Asking price is also usually more than the actual selling price.

Kijiji, price it higher for what you want for it and let people talk you down to a price you're comfortable with.
Also, any Canon products are amazing if you know how to properly function them. Nikon is the same.
I personally like Olympus, but because it's not a DSLR I'd have to choose Nikon as my favourite company. Maybe look for a nice Nikon, any newer models are great.

Thanks for the responses! I've kind of given up on selling or returning the sx40 and am going to try to find a used DSLR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back