New and I need help!

dixieschick27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a canon EOS rebel k2 35mm. I am very new at this so I am trying to figure out what to do to get my photos to not be so grainey looking. Do I need to use a certain kind of film or something.

Grainy looking pictures can be caused by:

High ISO film
Under exposure
Print size

If you use films 800 ISO and higher ... they will be grainy

If you under-expose your shots ... most photofinisher's will attempt to print them light to be more acceptable. This causes the images to look grainy.

If you are looking closely at a large print you will see pronounced film grain.

Welcome to the forum.

For us to properly diagnose the issue, it would really help if we could see the photos.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...15-how-do-i-do-pictorial-guide-using-tpf.html

As a rule of thumb, lower ISO film will be less grainy. So rather than 800 film, use 100.

My guess is that your shots are grainy because of exposure problems. For example, when your shots are underexposed, the lab will try to correct that when they make your prints. The result of trying to brighten an underexposed image, is often that it will be quite grainy.

My suggestion would be to shoot a roll of film and record the settings (aperture and shutter speed). Then when you take the film to be developed, ask for 'no corrections'. This should help you to see which shots are under/over exposed....and maybe help you to see which situations tend to give you those types of shots.
From there, you can start learning about metering and proper exposure.

Most reactions

Back