mamatomaya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
snapshotsbybri.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
I am new to the forum. I got a DSLR (canon rebel xt) about a year and a half ago. I have mostly taught myself, but am feeling blocked and want to learn more. I currently have the 18-55 kit lens and a 50mm 1.8. These are some shots I took with my 50mm today. I did do some color editing and cropping in PS elements. I welcome kind criticism :)

1. f2.8 1/1000 ISO 200
IMG_6670copy.jpg

2. f2.8 1/400 ISO 200
IMG_6696copy-1.jpg

3. f2.8 1/400 ISO 200
IMG_6724copy.jpg

I like 2 the best. The first one the 2 people's heads are on top of eachother and it looks very distracting.

Oh my goodness I love #2 it is so adorable. Great job!

just because you can shoot at a wide aperature, doesn't mean you always should. to my eyes, these are OOF

2 is great. 3 would be much better if it wasn't so OOF.

side note: when you're outside in bright day light, try to keep the ISO as low as possible (assuming 200 isn't the lowest on your camera since most DSLRs go down to 100) because you can afford to lower the shutter speed to compensate. I/400 is unnecessarily fast.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help and am so glad that I found this site! I definitely struggle the most with choosing aperture and focus. Well, and composition too :) Oh well, you have to start somewhere right?!

I like them.

Although I do agree that having overlapping heads in #1 is a little distracting.

I really like #2. I wish the background wasn't quite so bright though...

As for #3... I agree that it does look a bit OOF...I took the linerty of throwing a quick edit at it... This is what resulted...

IMG_6724copy.jpg

I played with the levels a bit...

I welcome kind criticism :)

Ok, but I don't criticize. I critique :D

And there is not such thing as kind critique. Or unkind for that matter. There is just critique, a way to learn but also mostly personal opinions.

For example, in your first photo, I would say that the hair of the person we can't see is annoying but if you were to tell me you shot it this way for a reason, who am I to say anything else. :lol:

That said, I like your second one best. The girls face looks a bit soft and as others have said there is no reason to shoot as such a wide aperture in full daylight. No reason to go the narrowest aperture either as the OOF background is good in this case. But it is a very cute photo.

Cheers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back