New Bag

Luke345678

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

So I've had a tamron bag that has lasted a very long time. It's a very durable bag and I love the thing but it can hold a body and maybe 3 lenses. I recently picked up a 2nd body since I decided I want 2 camera bodies again for many reasons, plus an upgrade was nice. :p While I love this bag it can't fit my stuff anymore. I want another durable bag that can fit about 3 bodies, and maybe 5 or 6 lenses. Big lenses too, my largest one now is a Sigma 50-500mm. If possible, I'd like the bag not to be insanely large but not necessarily small. I want to be have the option too sling it over my shoulder maybe or at least carry it at my side. I don't want to only be able to roll it. Hell, it doesn't have to roll at all.

Since I've never really looked into bags myself I'm not sure if what I'm asking is illogical or not. Please lead me in the right direction if I'm completely off about bags. I'm sure you guys know a lot more than I do. It'd be awesome if the bag could be under at $150. Don't wanna spend too much! :)

Thanks,

-Luke

Well for that much gear you might want to consider a backpack instead, you can usually get some pretty good generics for well under your budget. I use a backpack for storing my gear, and I've got a belt with a couple of lens cases and a generic small camera case with a belt loop I use for actually walking around with it. That way I can carry a couple of extra lenses, a few filters, cleaning equipment, etc - and the only thing slung over my shoulder is the camera itself. I find it very practical and a much better way of distributing the weight. When I get back to the car I can put everything back in the backpack for easy transport to and from the house. Works like a charm for me.

Well for that much gear you might want to consider a backpack instead, you can usually get some pretty good generics for well under your budget. I use a backpack for storing my gear, and I've got a belt with a couple of lens cases and a generic small camera case with a belt loop I use for actually walking around with it. That way I can carry a couple of extra lenses, a few filters, cleaning equipment, etc - and the only thing slung over my shoulder is the camera itself. I find it very practical and a much better way of distributing the weight. When I get back to the car I can put everything back in the backpack for easy transport to and from the house. Works like a charm for me.

Hm, a backpack would be nice. I'll have to look into that? Any links to some good ones you may know of?

I use backpacks mainly, I've tried sling and other bags and just have never been happy with them. backpacks seem to be the best designed ones for easy carrying and field use, especially if you're out hiking around or something. I've ended up with several sized bags for different occasions. I've got a 'large' 'medium' and small backpack...the big one is a Kata Pro-V 610, which is large enough to carry my big 500 f4 VR, plus 3-4 other lenses, body, and general accessories, its a large bag, and is good quality, but if I don't need the 500 with me I opt for something smaller, which I have a Lowepro pro-runner 450 AW which is a nice medium size, it'll carry a good range of primes, bodies, accessories, and is a very manageable size, it doesn't hold the 500 VR of course, but I used to be able to cram a 300 f2.8 and body in it, though that didn't leave much room for anything else, this is now my general 'field' bag, and my small bag is a lowepro flipside 300, which is okay, it'll hold a body and a couple lenses, its small but it'll still fit a body, a 70-200 f2.8 and perhaps another 1-2 small prime lenses, I really don't use it much unless I need to travel extremely light.

quite honestly I'm not really enamored with the lowepro bags, they're good, but not exceptional, they are well made, but their design isn't that great in some respects, most all of them aren't made to accomodate larger lenses (i.e. 300 f2.8 and larger), and the ones that they do make for large lenses aren't really ideally designed IMO. Plus there is a bit of a price premium for the name...the main reason 2 of my 3 bags are lowepro is because my only local shop only sells lowpro bags, and thinktank suitcases and bags are one things I kindof prefer to buy in person...but oh well...

you should be able to find a suitable backpack type bag in your price range, but you'll want to check them out if you can, do some research on what you need. and make sure they are designed in a way that makes access and protection of your gear optimal for your uses

I also use a backpack. I find the "camera" backpacks a bit homely, so I bought a stylish Coach, and I just pad everything well.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A couple of thoughts:
1. My experience is that bags/slings/holsters are very individual. For instance, for shooting while traveling or hiking, I use a Tamrac holster. Holds a body and 3 lens plus smaller crap (SD cards, battery, rain sleeve) just fine. But mostly I like how it fits me and the other gear I often haul when I'm hiking or just bopping around the city. I've never gotten in to sling bags but I get the people who do. I'm not wild about backpacks (unless you're using them primarily to haul stuff from one location to another) but many people swear by them. I've used a tactical vest in the past--some people love 'em and others hate 'em. The point is--you're going to want to try something on and make sure it rides well on you and ergonomically is a fit for how you work and how you'd likely use it.

2. I really doubt any sling is going to hold 2-3 bodies and 5-6 lens especially if one is a 500mm. That's backpack territory. As I said above, a backpack is great for allowing you to haul a lot of stuff from one location to another. But if you've got a backpack that is going to haul multiple bodies, lots of big glass plus all the other stuff you usually need for shooting (cards, cleaning stuff, batteries, filters, speed light or two, small notebook, maybe a laptop, some rain protection) then the way to access it is to take it off, put it down someplace, unzip the relevant pocket, assemble camera, zip back up, place backpack on (last time I did a shoot where I didn't reassemble my gear but left it out and turned my back, my manfrotto tripod developed legs and walked away). Nothing wrong with that but it's not very quick or spontaneous. May I suggest a two-fold solution: get yourself a backpack that can haul all of your gear, is padded (so gear is safe and dry), and is comfortable to carry. And continue to use your tamron bag or maybe even something smaller (small lowepro sling or a black rapid strap) so you have quick access to a body and lens for impromptu or reaction shots.

You can absolutely get a lot of good bags for $150 or under. My advice for you is:
--try it on. Make sure it fits you and is comfortable. So even if you buy something online, go to the local Best Buy or camera store and try stuff on first.
--be clear on your purpose. Is it a one-stop location for all of your gear that happens to be portable? Or is it something for you to take in to the city when you shoot? Or take day hikes with in to the mountains? Questions like this matter. It determines if you want to be able to attach a tripod (and what kind of tripod). It determines if you have a pack with a bunch of zippers and pockets (which make it easier to get gear out of quickly but also easier for pickpockets to steal stuff) vs. a pack that basically holds gear and you have to open the whole thing to get in to it. Do you want a water cover that comes with packs you expect to be outside and away from shelter? Do you want space for a laptop...and even other stuff (so it's your combination day pack and camera bag)? If you're going to stuff it under an airplane seat or an overhead bin (b/c you'll be taking long trips with it) then that has some considerations. Does it need lumbar support for long hikes or b/c you're going to keep it VERY full?
--will it fit your gear? For instance, you didn't mention a laptop but increasingly serious shooters are taking a laptop with them, transferring files as they shoot and then they can view on a screen and adjust mid-shoot. Frankly, I've known some folks who have taken a backpack or messenger bag and then added velcro inserts (Temba and Domke are among many gear manufacturers who also make generic inserts that allow you to turn a generic bag into a camera equipment carrier). BTW, this is a very under-rated approach...overseas there is a lot to be said for a backpack that doesn't say "Lowepro" or "Canon" on it (and scream "expensive camera equipment" to thieves and pickpockets).

Hello,

So I've had a tamron bag that has lasted a very long time. It's a very durable bag and I love the thing but it can hold a body and maybe 3 lenses. I recently picked up a 2nd body since I decided I want 2 camera bodies again for many reasons, plus an upgrade was nice. :p While I love this bag it can't fit my stuff anymore. I want another durable bag that can fit about 3 bodies, and maybe 5 or 6 lenses. Big lenses too, my largest one now is a Sigma 50-500mm. If possible, I'd like the bag not to be insanely large but not necessarily small. I want to be have the option too sling it over my shoulder maybe or at least carry it at my side. I don't want to only be able to roll it. Hell, it doesn't have to roll at all.

Since I've never really looked into bags myself I'm not sure if what I'm asking is illogical or not. Please lead me in the right direction if I'm completely off about bags. I'm sure you guys know a lot more than I do. It'd be awesome if the bag could be under at $150. Don't wanna spend too much! :)

Thanks,

-Luke

JoeW wrote the post I would like to have written, were it not so early, and me so lazy. He's right on sooooo many points. Bags are very individually-dependent. Backpacks CARRY a lot of stuff, yes, but are a royal pain to actually shoot out of...horrible. The larger, compartmental type bags, like Tamrac's older style, are GREAT if you wear a hip strap in addition to the shoulder strap, and work with prime lenses, which need to be swapped out alllll the time (I grew up shooting that way). The soft, shapeless Domke F2 type canvas bags hold a LOT, but are big, black-hole like messes where stuff just sort of slops around and disappears, but that same free-form nature also allows a lot of oddly-sized stuff to seamlessly find its place, so a Domke can carry a lot of stuff AND also be compact; it is a SOFT-sided canvas bag, which is very different from the padded, ballistic nylon type of bags Tamrac was famous for.

The large "messenger type" Domke is one I have...it's got the thinner, taller profile, but the biggest it can hold is a D3- series with 70-200 mounted, 85/1.4,105/2, 35/50 on stacked rear caps, and a flash, and some other stuff, and then it gets crowded, but it is slender,and easy to carry.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back