New Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Video

brunerww

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Although it's not technically a DSLR, the Pocket Cinema Camera is an interchangeable lens camcorder below $1000 that many DSLR video shooters can aspire to.

With its 220mbps recording data rate, its 4:2:2 color space and ProRes and CinemaDNG RAW codecs, its feature set beats DSLRs and camcorders costing thousands of dollars more.

Here is the latest sample video from this amazing camera - check the dynamic range - you can actually see details in sunlit backgrounds:

[video=vimeo;70676876]http://vimeo.com/70676876[/video]​

More info here.

You can preorder this camera at Adorama for $995 - they should be in stock later this month.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited:
Woah, that video's looking pretty awesome. Just wish I could afford one :)
I'm confused though, does it shoot 4k or not. Also what's "Apple ProRes?"
I just don't know a lot of camera terms :)

Thanks,
--Michael

Only downfall is it's sensor is an even larger crop than most crop sensors, making getting wide angle shots nearly impossible. I have seen this talked about for the past few months, thought about it, but then decided if I was going the RAW route I would get their EF mount 2.5k Cinema Camera for $2k, but with the advances Magic Lantern is making on the 5DMarkIII and Raw that will most likely be the route I will take

Sadly, Michael, you'd have to spend a little more for 4K :)

This camera, the $995 Super 16 sensor Pocket Cinema Camera, records at 1080p (1.9K of resolution).

Its bigger brother, the $1995 Blackmagic Cinema Camera, records at 2.5K of resolution.

Its biggest brother, the $3995 Super 35 sensor Blackmagic Production Camera, will record at 4K of resolution (when it finally ships).

ProRes is a codec, like the consumer AVCHD codec, that compresses video data for easier storage, editing and viewing.

But the "bit rate" at which ProRes is recorded (220mbps) is an order of magnitude faster than the maximum speed of consumer codecs (typically around 28mbps for AVCHD 1080/60p).

Straight out of the box, even video-centric cameras such as the Panasonic GH3 and Canon 5D Mark III record maximum bit rates less than 100mbps - and both are more expensive than the BMPCC.

In addition, ProRes is a 10-bit, 4:2:2 chroma subsampling codec - similar to the codecs used in professional cameras. The consumer implementation of AVCHD, on the other hand, is an 8-bit, 4:2:0 chrome subsampling codec.

Bottom line: ProRes cameras record more information than consumer cameras, and can, with good signal processing, create amazing images from a tiny camera.

Image quality will be even better when Blackmagic rolls out the 12-bit CinemaDNG RAW upgrade :)

Here is the best Pocket Cinema Camera video I have seen:

[video=vimeo;73552615]http://vimeo.com/73552615[/video]​

More BMPCC info on the blog and on my Vimeo Pocket Cinema group.

Best,

Bill

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I do like the ProRes codec from what I've seen from it. Hopefully I can find somebody to try the regular cinema camera to see if I like it vs a regular dslr for future reference. It would be nice to save a little compared to the 5DM3 and put it into more glass or audio equipment

Cool I hadn't seen it on there, must have just skimmed over it. Is audio basically the same as DSLR in that you pretty much need to record to an external recorder because of bad preamps?

Most reactions

Back