New Body or New Lens

exemplaria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've got the opportunity to buy a new lens or new body, but probably not both. Currently have a D3100 and DX 35, 50 and 55-300. I'm looking at either a D7000, fast midrange zoom, or relatively fast wide angle (think Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 or Tokina 11-16 f/2.8). Right now the 35 lives on the camera 80% of the time, and I like it except that it's often not wide enough. I'm frequently shooting in low light, so either better low light performance or fast glass is what I'm going for. I know the adage is to buy lenses because they keep their value and add more to your images, and don't worry so much about the body, but I think there are real reasons the D7000 is enough of a step up to consider.

Body:

Pros (these are things I think are relevant to me):
Better low light/ISO performance
High FPS (6 vs 3)
Better metering system
Nikon grip available - and we know grip = pro
In camera bracketing

Negs:
DX format - dying?
D7100 on the way?
Buy FX capable glass and save for full frame?

Lens:
Pros:
Mid-range zoom opens up new shooting flexibility I didn't have before, same for wide
Holds value better

Negs
Don't want to stock up on DX lenses if they're dying, or if I have real aspirations of going full frame
For the Tokina, I need to buy the "version 2" of that lens with internal motor, which adds ~$250 to the price. If I go D7000 and this lens later, I can get the version 1 and save that money.

Thoughts?

Thought: head over to Thom Hogan's Nikon Camera, DSLR, Lens, Flash, and Book site, where October is "DX Month". Thom has spent most of October writing articles about the state of DX in the NIkon brand. His posts have some truly excellent analysis, and commentary, and facts, about the Nikon DX format situation as it stands today, and as the future MIGHT be.

I will simplify one point he makes: NIkon's DX lens lineup in not complete, and Nikon EXPECTS its customers to buy full-frame capable lenses in multiple categories, because there ARE no DX-specific lenses in several categories.

If you go with glass now, how long before you can upgrade?
Upgrading to a D7000 is my first gut instinct. There are just so many reasons to get out of that D3000 category, but if you will be able to upgrade to full frame in 6 months? I wouldn't do it, I'd go for glass. If it's going to be a year or more? I'd upgrade the camera body and sell the D3100 to fund the purchase of a wide lens.

You'll have to decide what you want, new camera or new lens.

For the sake of curiosity, why did you buy a bottom tier camera? I see a lot of folks interested in a DLSR buying low end cameras only to want to upgrade a short while later. A better camera as a first DLSR is no harder to use than an entry level stripped down body. Should the interest in photography wane, the better camera can be sold easier and with less loss.

You'll have to decide what you want, new camera or new lens.

For the sake of curiosity, why did you buy a bottom tier camera? I see a lot of folks interested in a DLSR buying low end cameras only to want to upgrade a short while later. A better camera as a first DLSR is no harder to use than an entry level stripped down body. Should the interest in photography wane, the better camera can be sold easier and with less loss.

Well at the time I was under the belief that any DSLR would be an upgrade over my Canon Powershot, and I was working under the mantra of spend less on the camera and more on the lenses. 18 months later I realize that while I was correct, there are still limits to a low end DSLR and (IMHO) I am now able to take advantage of those additional features of a higher end camera. Also money - a year ago a D7000 kit was what, $1,500? I got a refurb D3100 kit for like $480.

If you are changing formats, then the body would make more sense. If you are not, then the body doesn't matter and the lens would make more sense.

If you are changing formats, then the body would make more sense. If you are not, then the body doesn't matter and the lens would make more sense.

Of course it matters, you should always shoot what your most comfortable shooting and can operate more easily. I can understand getting a different body. I originally was using a D5100, though it's a good camera, I couldn't really use manual settings the easiest, having to use buttons and dials in combinations to make setting changes, or dive in the menu if I wanted to make more specific changes, kind of a pain, personally think this camera was best suited to using auto type settings. So I bought myself a Nikon D200, I love this camera much more, much easier to change settings if I want to, the ergonomics feel a lot better than the smaller D5100. Obviously I could have spend more money on a D300 or D7000 or D90, but I didn't want to.

I say get a body that you are happy with before getting lenses. The D7000 is a pretty big step up from the d3100. you mentioned low light and i know the d7000 shoots way better in low light conditions and has better iso sensitivity but im not sure how that compares to the d31000 with f/2.8. It sounds like eventually you will upgrade both bodies and lenses. So if I had to choose which to upgrade first I would choose the body because I think the benefits of having a d7000 outweigh the d3100.

Normally this rule applies - It's not the camera, it's the photographer, so choose the camera your comfortable with. And it's not just the Pixel Count of the sensor you need to take into count, but the metering system and the auto focus system as well.

Of course it matters, you should always shoot what your most comfortable shooting and can operate more easily. I can understand getting a different body. I originally was using a D5100, though it's a good camera, I couldn't really use manual settings the easiest, having to use buttons and dials in combinations to make setting changes, or dive in the menu if I wanted to make more specific changes, kind of a pain, personally think this camera was best suited to using auto type settings. So I bought myself a Nikon D200, I love this camera much more, much easier to change settings if I want to, the ergonomics feel a lot better than the smaller D5100. Obviously I could have spend more money on a D300 or D7000 or D90, but I didn't want to.

Mind you, you don't have to buy a new body brand new, you could buy used, which will allow you to have a better body that gives you more manual control and possibly a lens of your choice.

D90 Body Only - Around $450
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...UTF8&qid=1351026963&sr=8-2&keywords=Nikon+d90

D7000 Body Only - Around $800
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)

D300 Body Only - $600-700
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Nikon D300 DX 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Normally this rule applies - It's not the camera, it's the photographer, so choose the camera your comfortable with. And it's not just the Pixel Count of the sensor you need to take into count, but the metering system and the auto focus system as well.

Mind you, you don't have to buy a new body brand new, you could buy used, which will allow you to have a better body that gives you more manual control and possibly a lens of your choice.

D90 Body Only - Around $450
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Nikon D90 12.3MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)

D7000 Body Only - Around $800
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)

D300 Body Only - $600-700
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Nikon D300 DX 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)

+1 fmw

Makes no sense "Only reason to upgrade body is to change format" ?

How about more dedicated controls to make changes on the fly without the eye leaving a Bigger,Brighter Viewfinder to go menu digging. Like dual command wheels and dedicated buttons for iso,wb,AF,etc... Or built in motor for support for those older AF or AF-D lenses or built in flash commander mode for operating flashes off shoe. I could go on and on about better AF more FPS,etc... But you get the idea.

Sometimes a body upgrade "Has Nothing to Do with the Sensor in the Slightest" tho that is a plus but more to do with day to day using and having the features to make getting the shot in a fast and efficient manner.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Aww the age old debate.. Basically long story short, go with glass over body. That being said do what will make you the happiest. I had the same type of internal debate about 5 years ago, upgrading from a D40 and thinking about other bodies or lenses. I eventually went with the D300 which last me about 4 years and its a beast of a body for sports and other stuff.

In your situation I think its best to upgrade to a decent body that you will not outgrow for many years (ie D7000, or an older D300) and then try and get the best glass for what you want to shoot. unfortunately photography is quite the pricey hobby, but oh so worth it.

I second looking used. I bought both my D300 and D700 used and saved some money. Obviously like all things electronic you just have to be rather careful.

You mentioned the tokina 11-16. I have the first model and absolutely adore it. It stayed on my D300 about 85% of the time and I have heard people call it the best wide angle lens for DX or FX (not counting the King of UWA 14-24), plus its relatively cheap.

EDIT: Oh yea I have a fantastic tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for sale, PM me if interested.

Buy both a body and a lens
bigthumb.gif

Buy glass that will accommodate both DX and FX cameras, wait for the prices of say the D800 or D600 to come down next year. I'm sure the D600 will be a bigger bargain next year and you'll
have glass to take advantage of the larger sensor. I love my D7000, but ultimately it is a transition camera to FX.

I had the same decision to make a couple of weeks ago. I decided to wait on the D600 or D800, and purchased a used but in excellent condition nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 lens. Couldn't be happier
at least until next year. Good luck with your decision.

+1 gryffinwings

Makes no sense "Only reason to upgrade body is to change format" ?

How about more dedicated controls to make changes on the fly without the eye leaving a Bigger,Brighter Viewfinder to go menu digging. Like dual command wheels and dedicated buttons for iso,wb,AF,etc... Or built in motor for support for those older AF or AF-D lenses or built in flash commander mode for operating flashes off shoe. I could go on and on about better AF more FPS,etc... But you get the idea.

This is a tough place. You put quotes around something I didn't say. If you want to debate what I said then do so. Don't invent what I said. Lenses make images. Bodies just hold film or sensors. Lenses of differnet sorts can provide creative tools to the photographer. Bodies pretty much provide gimmicks. I wish could buy a Nikon FM2 with a sensor in it. Simple, easy to use, no menus, mechanical shutter, foolproof. The only requirements are an understanding of exposure and focus. So I would always go for the lens. However, if he is going to change formats, then doing it now would make sense to me and that would mean a new body. It is hard to imagine how a new body would improve his images, assuming competence at operating the current body. A new lens almost always will. Now debate that rather than "only reason to upgrade body etc."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back