New Buddy

Seadawg

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Sister In Law asked me to take maternity photos of her (for some reason), so one of the places we went was a local state park. We went to the play area and I set my camera down on a picnic table to take my sunglasses off. Well the awesome little man immediately ran up and climbed up on the table. I wasn't to worried until he started reaching for my camera, I quickly picked it up and started talking to him. I asked his mom if I could take a photo and she obliged. Well we make it over to the swing set, I sit down in the wood chips and little dude just ran up to me. He couldn't talk much but I could tell by his actions all he wanted was to be a part of what I was doing. I didn't want to take away from what I was there for so I snapped another photo, this time actually trying to capture a decent shot.

He was a cool kid and very interested in what was going on. I wish I had more time to spend with him, but I didn't get any names or contacts to do it again.

This is the shot by the swing set, hope you enjoy. As always C&C are welcome.

Thanks,

CJ

IMG_6962 by choward_01, on Flickr

IMO, this is just a close-up snap of a little boy.
Pin-point catch-lights, lack of skin texture and deep shadows under chin and above sweatshirt make me think this is too much straight on flash.
Sorry.

Maybe you'll see her again so you can give her a copy.

agreed. you had to tell us that was a shot at the swing set...

I like the shot. The eyes are very expressive ... there is a look of curiosity ... as opposed to the disingenuous "smile for the camera" smile. The crop and the lack of shadows are a bit distracting, but not to the point of ruining the image. As you really enjoy this image ... I would go for a very tight crop on top and on the right, getting the eyes centered, burn in the cheeks and nose a bit to remove/lessen the flash effect and clone out catch lights in the eyes. While I like the red sweatshirt ... I'd give a shot at a B&W conversion. B&W would make the eyes more bit more prominent by lowering the impact of the red sweatshirt.

Last edited:
That was just part of the story, the fact that i was at the swing set had nothing to do with this shot.

IMO, this is just a close-up snap of a little boy.
Pin-point catch-lights, lack of skin texture and deep shadows under chin and above sweatshirt make me think this is too much straight on flash.
Sorry.
That is essentially what it was, i did say that i tried to capture a decent shot but he wasn't my main focus So i didn't spend anytime trying to compose an award winning shot. Thanks for your reply and feed back though. If i had more time with him i would like to think i could have done better with everything.

That was just part of the story, the fact that i was at the swing set had nothing to do with this shot.

that's the problem, it's just a very up-close picture of some confused looking kid without any context.

Most reactions

Back