New Business - New Website | Feedback Please

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All~
I'm new here and have finally taken the steps to turn "Pro" (make $ that is).
I have good equipment, a website, business cards and time.
My concern is my pricing - isn't everyone's?
I based mine off a recent shoot I paid for so I could be in them for a change. For my area, this seems to be average pricing.
Just curious for feedback on the site and pricing overall. I know I need more galleries - I have a few TFP shoots set up to update my portfolio.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

I like your style, but you only have one subject in your child portrait gallery. The other gallery is good, but it is nothing that shines out above the rest. I would consider working on your photos for a while and then go into business.

Love & Bass

... but you only have one subject in your child portrait gallery. The other gallery is good, but it is nothing that shines out above the rest. I would consider working on your photos for a while and then go into business.

Love & Bass
Sorry Mike, but I agree with craig.

I would suggest that you find some other children; willing family / friends. Short of that, you should see if you can find some children models to help expand your portfolio. Make it look as though you've been doing this for a while.

As for the artistic prints, not my style. On my monitor, I find most of them to be too dark and I don't like the color in some of the others. It just looks wrong.

"We can create a package that will fit anyone's needs - there is no job too big or small!" This is not good marketing! It makes it sound as though you're desperate for work. (And I'll bet there are jobs too big).

When I choose gallery, all I see is two rectangles, each surrounded by a blue outline.

Your site promotes portraits and events, but there are no examples of event photography and the second gallery has nothing to do with the stated business. If you're also trying to sell art prints, that should be stated but I would have a second website for art photos so as to not confuse what you are providing.

Hope this helps. (I know I would be funing or totally bummed by the comments here, but keep heart)

Charlie
http://www.cwlupica.com

Criticism is the only way to grow - no hurt feelings.

I put the art in to placehold my other galleries. (Not sure why it's not working for a couple of you - have to look into it)

It's only been up a week or so, still sorting other portrait and event galleries.
I'm a Cop for a day job, so schedule has limited me this week.

Thanks for the marketing comment - didn't see it that way, but now I do.

your gallery key doesn't seem to work

One thing you need to up your prices, you are really low.
If you search on the forum, there have been many threads about this.

yeah, i agree. your prices are pretty low.

you need to demand a fair price for your time, expertise, and equipment. don't sell yourself short on this.

not to mention, just as important as paying yourself, you need to create perceived value in your product. if you are selling at bargain basement prices, the perceived value of your product will be bargain basement.

i think (in my limited experience) you have enough talent to expand on. your post processing skills are not bad at all. nice effects and composition on many of the shots.

keep at it.

oh, and did i mention raise your prices?

Hit there

I just have comments on the graphics… Not the images. You’re using too many fonts. Limit yourself to at most 3 fonts possibly in the same family. When you enter your gallery you have 3 distinguishable fonts. Portraiture, Your Name in the right of your Images, and simple viewer, those are great fonts.

Your opening page should be simplistic. The font for your name in your homepage is too whimsical. Attempt to find the font you used in your images at the right hand corner, it’s looks more profound.

Your buttons are distracting and also another font was used. I think one Image is enough for homepage. The image that leads you into your gallery should be the only image, it’s fantastic.

You also have a link named gallery and it doesn’t take you into your gallery, it should (that’s why some people didn’t see your images) It goes back to your homepage. You have to click the little boy at the bottom who's playing to see your gallery. People will think all you have is the image of that one little boy.

Disable the link in the bottom picture and link the gallery button only to your gallery.

Also your location is in another font. Keep it in the same family. It just seems like it should be structured and linear in style. But that’s what my eyes see.

I loved your images by the way .. great job. I liked the ones with a pop of color the red and blue.

Hope this helps and you understand my writing, it’s 2am...bedtime.

Website -Seems like it may be under construction right now - so I will comment on the site later.

Biz Cards - I find them a bit busy - like I'm strainign to se ethe picture in the background, and I don't even look at the text. Maybe a small picture to one side, and then the text just on white?

Prices - They seem very low. Don't be affraid to charge. You will be suprised what peopleare willing to pay. And you don't want to peg yourself as the cheap photographer. If anything, offer specials and discounts. With the prices you have now, I dont think you could offer specials without breaking the bank.

The gallery didn't work when I checked, so I can't really comment on your photography. (Actually it may have been working but really slow loading, I'm not exactly sure, but loading too slow is practically the same as not working at all). My first thought was that the site looks a bit rough. I would recommend reading up on web design, studying other photography sites you think are really good, and try to create a look and feel that you think matches and holds to the same level of quality as your photography. As new as the site is, it always takes a while to work the kinks out, but the sooner the better. Good luck with your new endeavor!!

Matthew Block
http://www.purecaptures.com

Hi Mike, your website is not bad, but I have similar constructive criticism as the pp. On my monitor, most of the pictures seem dark or underexposed, maybe just processed badly. BUT, I am on my work monitor and it isn't calibrated. Are you calibrated? (Would be curious what others w/ calibrated monitors see). Also, just curious what you are shooting with. The idea of most of the images look great IMO, but a lot of them look a tad soft or OOF. That may just be the look you are going for though. And you already mentioned you are going to try to add more subjects to your gallery, that would also help.

On a side note, thanks for the job you do. My husband is a cop too and you guys are paid way too little for the stuff you have to deal with. Good luck with your side job! :D

Most reactions

Back