New Camera Advice? Will be used to shoot a lot of Video)

justme19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I am currently in the market for a new camera, its main purpose will be to record some acoustic music performances. But I will also be traveling soon, so to take some great pictures as well.

I currently have a Nikon D90, which has no mic input and no auto focus, so I will be selling this soon.

The cameras that have stood out to me are Sony SLT-A65 and Canon EOS 700D (Rebel t5i). I am currently leaning towards the song as it seems to be an all round better camera. I have picked up and held both of these cameras in store, the auto focus on the Sony seemed to be much faster then the Cannon!

The only reason I have not brought the Sony is because the flip out screen can not be view when recording yourself, (So I can't double check that I am in frame) hence why I love the Cannon so much!

Any suggestions to other cameras or just some general advice on why one of the other is superior for shooting video would be much appreciated.

Panasonic Lumix GH3. Body (in lightly used condition) can be had for around $800 or slightly less, if you shop around the forums. Lenses are generally very compact and light weight, several primes feature "fast" glass (f1.8 to f1.4). The camera features higher bitrates that result in better rendition of motion and for video was hands down the best DSLR form factor camera for video until the GH4 with 4K UHD recording came on the market.

Autofocus is lightning fast, one of the fastest on the market, the camera has a built in EVF, fully articulating LCD and is weather sealed with certain weather sealed lenses. Both Olympus and Panasonic have a full line of lenses this camera can use (anything Micro Four Thirds).

Look it up on B&H and read the user reviews.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back