New Camera Advice

mwong

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping for some advice for a new camera. I've been using an old Pentax P&S for a while and have started to take a much bigger interest in photography. I would mostly be shooting landscape and architecture. I'm wanting a new camera but don't know if I'm ready to go and spend a lot of money a SLR + lenses. What would you guys suggest for a camera just below the level of a SLR.

Just curious, with the low prices of entry level DSLR's being what they are, why are you wanting another P&S?

Size?

there's some good links in my sig to check out :)

Olympus is coming out with a 10 mega pixel p&s with a 20x optical zoom next month... $500. Though if you are going to spend that much, I'd recommend getting an entry level DSLR. MOST (but not all) DSLRs have a auto mode, which you could use at first, then change to manual or other modes, as you learn.

New to the site.

Just picked up a Canon PowerShot SX100 is yesterday. I love everything so far esp the price $250 EXCEPT no veiwfinder. Why they wouldnt put a viewfinder in is beyond me. The only thing I saw close to it was the kodak (not sure what model) that was ok but it was a 25 more and I wasnt sold.

SO if I can get past the no veiwfinder thing for now I will be ok. IF not I'm not sure what to do.

It seems to have everything that is important to me as far as settings and interface goes. Well see

I plan to get a DSLR within two years.

I've thought about getting a Canon XTi but after getting another lens that puts me at $700-$800 and I don't know if I'm ready to spend that much yet. I've heard good things about the G9 but don't know if that is what I want exactly.

Go on eBay and do a search for Minolta XG under 35mm film cameras and then do a search for MD Minolta under film camera lenses and see what you can get. These systems are a dime a dozen anymore but they are workhorses. You could drop one off the edge of the Grand Canyon and scoop it from the sea somewhere off Baja a month later and fire a roll through it no problem. (I might be exaggerating a TEENCIE-WEENCIE little bit so don't try this at home, folks.) You can get into a good film SLR system dirt cheap and into a temporary darkroom for not much more, I would suspect you could get going camera and lenswise for just around $200.00 USD and into a temp darkroom for B&W film for about another three (including film). Just a thought. I did it.

Most reactions

Back