New Camera - CANON EOS400D or

DaveM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking at upgrading my camera and this is one on my list. Anyone got any comments on this one.

SpecificationsFeatures
  • 10.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor
  • EOS Integrated Cleaning System
  • 2.5" LCD
  • 9-point wide-area AF
  • Picture Styles
  • DIGIC II
  • 3fps with up to 27 frame burst
  • DPP RAW image processing software
  • Compact and lightweight
  • EF/EF-S lens and EX Speedlite flash compatible
Make it your playground.

Quality
The EOS 400D's 10.1 Megapixel sensor employs the same outstanding CMOS image quality advantage of its big brothers in the professional EOS 1 range. Super sensitive in low light and virtually noise free, CMOS is also fast and power efficient.

EOS Integrated Cleaning System
For consistently pristine results, a complete dust prevention and cleaning system works to keep the EOS 400D's sensor spotless. A combination of technologies reduces, repels and removes dust and includes a Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit that shakes dust from the sensor with each power on.

Large bright LCD
Reviewing your work is a delight with the super bright 2.5" 230k pixel display - nearly twice the size of the EOS 350D. Photos feel crisper, richer and more saturated, while a 160° viewing angle makes for easy at-a-glance checking and sharing.

Faster, longer
Shoot at 3 fps for continuous bursts of up to 27 large JPEG images (10 RAW): like shooting a whole roll of film in a single burst.

Picture Style
Switching between Picture Style presets is like being able to change film mid-roll to achieve different colour response and Black & White effects. Sharpness, contrast, colour tone and saturation are individually adjustable.

High precision 9-point wide-area AF
Select from one of nine fixed focusing points across the scene for fast, accurate focusing - even with off-centre subjects and 'rule-of-thirds' compositions.

DIGIC II
This tiny super-computer renders colours with precision, accuracy and speed. Fast and power efficient, DIGIC II also delivers instant 0.2 second start up time.

Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software
Included in the box, DPP provides high-speed RAW image processing.

Lightweight and compact
Protecting the camera is a tough, durable casing that also keeps weight down to just 510 grams.

EF lenses and accessories
The EOS 400D is compatible with all of the more than 60 EF and EF-S lenses and all EX Series Speedlite flash units. E-TTL II passes data such as focal length and distance information from compatible EF lenses to the Speedlites for consistently accurate flash exposures.

Connectivity
Video Out allows TV screen review. Fast data transfer comes standard with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed.​

What type of comments do you want? It's a nice camera and it can capture some amazing photos.

It's a great camera...no question about it. Keep in mind that it's Canon's entry level DSLR. The 40D is a step up. The 5D is a step up and has a 'full frame sensor', the 1D mk III and the 1Ds mk III are the pro level bodies.

It's a great camera...no question about it. Keep in mind that it's Canon's entry level DSLR. The 40D is a step up. The 5D is a step up and has a 'full frame sensor', the 1D mk III and the 1Ds mk III are the pro level bodies.

Thanks for this information I am now waiting on prices of all three from my supplier. Hopefully depending on price I will be able to go up a level or two. I did a comparison on all three and came up with two pages of features. I must admit at this stage some of them actually meant nothing to me.

I must admit at this stage some of them actually meant nothing to me.

the point is, some of the mactually do not mean much anyway!

IMHO many of the features used to advertise cameras are mere technical toy-features (not saying all of them!)

quite important is the decision for a sensor size (1.6 crop, 1.3 crop or 1.0 ("full frame")), then fps might be of interest for you if you are into sports/action photography a lot, if a camera has good spot metering can be of interest .... but most of all it is about the image quality provided by the sensor ... and your bank account ;).

if you travel alot, weight and size might also be important.

Most reactions

Back