New camera confusion. Manual mode, AV mode?

MarcGonsalves

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was looking in the tutorial thread, but it seems that most everything is DSLR around here. (Which was expected) I recently got a Canon SX210 IS. It's my first camera so obviously I love it so far, but theres a lot of stuff i don't know how to use. As the title says manual mode and aperture priority mode are two of them. I know they obviously have to do with your aperture and shutter speed and stuff like that. I however don't know what those do. So if anyone can answer some basic quesitons, I would greatly appreciate it. Such as:

What does a low aperture do?
A high aperture?
What do the different shutter speeds do for me?
How can these make a picture better or worse.
Thank you very much for any and all help.

From basics point of view, DSLR and Point&shoot or bridge is almost the same, except for the amount of control you have on those parameters (about which you could read also on the camera handbook). Your camera is not a dSLR but has many dSLR like functions, like those you mention (results will not be exactly the same, of course, but usage indeed is the same).
A book often suggested here on the forums is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, that will give you an overall idea of how photography works. As you see, is also the first one on the tutorial thread.
In the same thread, you can find also many relevant sources inside the General FAQ section (read 2nd, 3rd, and 5th at least).
Furthermore, any online page with a title resembling the one of the suggested book could be sufficient for having a first idea, e.g., one at random: Photography basics – understanding exposure .
Bye!

do you mean, small aperture number or large.

small lets in more light, effects DOF, large number lets in less light also effects DOF

shutter speeds control blurr or lack of motion

control of these items create different type of images not necessary better or worse

you might consider checking out your camera manual and then before others jump in , get a copy of Byran Peterson Understanding Exposure.

Low aperture number = bigger opening - lets more light in and blurs out the background
High aperture number = smaller opening lets less light in and makes everything in focus
shutter speed controls how long the sensor is exposed. Quick shutter speed freezes the action, slow shutter speed lets more light in but can get blurry if camera is not on a tripod. Everything is a balance between aperture, ISO and shutter speed to get a properly exposed image. Read the book above to get a better understanding of it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ordered the book just now. Thanks again

I am not sure about the Cannon manual, but my Nikon manual touched on all the aspects of the camera and what it does.

READ your manual.

Jeez, is there anyone out there that understands FRACTIONS, f/2 is a way bigger number than f/16 is. :lmao:

F/2, being a bigger number, is a wider aperture (bigger hole) than f/16 is. :lmao:

What does a low aperture do?
Actually, the term is small. Aperture is the adjustable lens opening. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture

A small aperture lets in less light but makes sure more of the scene is in focus foreground-to-background. The phenomenen is also known a depth-of-field (DOF). Deep DOF is the term of art. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm
A high aperture?
A wide aperture lets in lots of light, and renders less of a scenen in focus foreground-to-background, or a shallow DOF.
When using strobed (flash) lighting, the aperture is used to control the strobed light exposure.
What do the different shutter speeds do for me?
Shutter speed controls the ability to stop motion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_speed
The faster something is moving relative to the image sensor plane, the faster the shutter speed required to render it without blur. Something moving parallel to the image sensor requires more shutter speed than something moving at the same speed, but perpendicular to the image sensor.
When using strobed (flash) lighting, the light assumes the motion stopping function and shutter speed is used to control the ambient light exposure.
How can these make a picture better or worse.
Shallow DOF is useful for visually isolating foreground subjects by blurring the background, like for a portrait. Deep DOF is useful for having an entire scene sharply focus, like for a landscape shot.

Thank you very much for any and all help.
You bet.

Last edited:
Keith, I think the problem is these numbers are not usually discussed as a fraction, unless someone takes a class or talks to someone who explains it in that manner.

I use the fraction idea all the time and it helps my beginners. Strangely enough they have problems with shutter speeds which quite often show up as a fraction in the viewing screen. Go figure :)

Jeez, is there anyone out there that understands FRACTIONS, f/2 is a way bigger number than f/16 is. :lmao:

That depends. Is f a constant here or is it a variable? 1/2 is smaller that 32/16th's
falling-off-chair-laughing.gif

Most reactions

Back