new camera for beginners

marfdug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm starting uni studying photography and I'm in search for a new camera as my other one has just broken but frankly I'm quite clueless when it comes to equipment, anyone's help will be majorly appreciated!!

I'm starting uni studying photography and I'm in search for a new camera as my other one has just broken but frankly I'm quite clueless when it comes to equipment, anyone's help will be majorly appreciated!!
In which country/region?

If your major field of study is photography, I will recommend a DSLR.

In which country/region?

If your major field of study is photography, I will recommend a DSLR.
the UK, definitely looking for a DSLR but unsure as to what kind of camera as I don't want something that is going to be confusing and a little out of my depth as a beginner but at the same time I want something that is going to be of a high standard

the UK, definitely looking for a DSLR but unsure as to what kind of camera as I don't want something that is going to be confusing and a little out of my depth as a beginner but at the same time I want something that is going to be of a high standard
I think you should purchase a Nikon D3200 or similar. You also should plan on purchasing an external flash and a good tripod.

Some links:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3200...F8&qid=1441977400&sr=1-1&keywords=Nikon+D3200

I have the Nikon SB-910, which is my first choice, however here is one by a third party that will save you some money:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HIVXY...8&qid=1441977567&sr=1-3&keywords=nikon+sb-910

Here is a small lightweight tripod. Someday you may wish to obtain a heavier one, but this one will be easier to carry around.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-M...&qid=1441977681&sr=1-5&keywords=camera+tripod

If you have any money left over; get a couple of spare SD cards and a shutter release cable.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nikon D3200
Or
Nikon D3300

I will wait until the class start and ask the teacher. Based on the information I read here in the past, there is a chance that your class(es) may have some requirement(s) which we do not know.

There was a case here before a person end up needed to find a film camera instead of digital at the end because of the class requirement. And another case, if I remember correctly, that person bought both digital and film camera (class require film camera). And digital camera had the same lens mount as the film camera so the lenses were compatible with both cameras.

Couldn't she ask the teacher before the class begins and therefore be ready for the first assignment?

Or even easier; check the class syllabus online.

If she waits until the class has already begun, she will be late getting started.

I would agree with Designer re asking the lecturer or students in the years ahead or maybe a students union office would be able to ask the right people if you can't track anyone down. Before you go buying I would try to find out more about equipment recommendations.

Bare in mind that there are always deals with the Nikon & Canon go to PC world etc and compare there deals with actual camera stores and online. With sterling being strong against the euro you could consider buying tripods and such from the continent and getting them shipped.

.. you could consider buying tripods and such from the continent and getting them shipped.
Uh-huh, or better yet; go there and pick one up in person!

Thank you all for your help, I'm going to just wait until I get there just in case I make a mistake. :)

Thank you all for your help, I'm going to just wait until I get there just in case I make a mistake. :)
Oh, right, then the Canon fans will have you convinced to purchase a Canon. :blue:

Most reactions

Back